Neighbours gardener using my woodland as a dump

Hamburglar

Advice from a respected forum please.

Got a neighbour whose gardener has dumped a pile of brash and two large piles of grass cuttings on my land. Hadn't noticed as been too busy working on the house to go look round the borders of the wood. It's in a conservation area and the trees have tpo's.

Went round to their house to politely ask about the rubbish. Flat denial that it is anything to do with them. Spoke to their neighbour who tells me it's their gardener.

Options are

Do nothing and put up with woodland being used as a tip - don't think so.

Tell them to clear site. Or I'll get quotes for clearance and pursue them for costs.

Bag it all up and dump it on their drive.

Not sure who I can get to enforce.

Not keen on rotting garden compost causing disease issues with the trees.

Grateful for views. Can't think straight for the red mist

Thanks in advance for opinions

Rob

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOw well do you know/ get on with/ WANT to get on with your neighbour? If the answer to any of these is negative, then write them a letter explaining that you have a witness to their gerdener using your woodland as a dump, which is fly tipping st the very least, and that unless they clear it up within a reasonable time (that YOU think is reasonable) say a few days or so, then you will be contacting the relevant authority, be it police, environment agenct etc.

if you WANT to maintain a good relationship then gpo back round and very nicely, face to face, go through the above. Dont forget, THEY may be getting told porkies by their gardener, you never know.

good luck.

Never tried it but how about something like this [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acorn-5210A-Wildlife-Standard-Infrared/dp/B00873DB5S]Acorn 5210A Wildlife Trail Camera, Standard Infrared: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bXjQcbz8L.@@AMEPARAM@@41bXjQcbz8L[/ame]

Would be pretty hard for them to deny it if you have photographic evidence.

Edited by Woodworks

It's fly tipping. Obviously you have to prove it. If it was me I'd go and have a word and remind them that they're responsible for the way the gardener disposes of their rubbish. If he comes on a Tuesday sit in your woodland then and see if he does it. Then confront him if he is get a photo and say if its not gone by tomorrow you'll contact the EA, Police and local council.

If, as it classically is, dumped over the boundary, particularly if remote from any other persons access, I cannot see how they can reasonably deny it.

This is one of the few issues that genuinely causes me to "red mist", generally caused by persons not belonging in the countryside, who keep their gardens exquisitely tidy, but seem to imagine that any ground outside their ownership is "common" ground and good to dump thereon.

A tractor and hydraulic link-box is "wile" handy bytimes.

m

Advice from a respected forum please.

Got a neighbour whose gardener has dumped a pile of brash and two large piles of grass cuttings on my land. Hadn't noticed as been too busy working on the house to go look round the borders of the wood. It's in a conservation area and the trees have tpo's.

Went round to their house to politely ask about the rubbish. Flat denial that it is anything to do with them. Spoke to their neighbour who tells me it's their gardener.

Options are

Do nothing and put up with woodland being used as a tip - don't think so.

Tell them to clear site. Or I'll get quotes for clearance and pursue them for costs.

Bag it all up and dump it on their drive.

Not sure who I can get to enforce.

Not keen on rotting garden compost causing disease issues with the trees.

Grateful for views. Can't think straight for the red mist

Thanks in advance for opinions

Rob

Hi ROB IF you no they have put it there ask or tell to move it if then you move it back on to there land easy as that mate thanks Jo

That's a simple case of fly-tipping, love people who think well its over the fence so its not my problem!

The Local Authority will be able to help you out. Fly-tipping is dealt through the Environmental Officers. Explain you have an issue and that you think it if from the property, take a photo of it as well. I would also find out when the gardener goes, then next time it comes over, pop your head over the fence. That usually works as well!