Ranger MPG. What do you get?

PeteB

09 Ranger towing I get on average around 22-25mpg

Have just worked out that my 300tdi with turbo and intercooler mods is now doing about 22-23mpg towing fully loaded and truck loaded aswell.

Same as Dean, I am not that bothered by fuel consumption, it's just part of the job.

The only time I was a bit bothered was when we had a merc 1617 lorry that could manage nearly 17mpg and replaced it with a cargo drawbar unit with V8 Cummins that done 8mpg :( pulled like a train though and was worth the extra expense just to hear the sound

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 58 plate ranger plus cab tipper with a 2.5 tdci does thirty two on a run empty when religiously doing 56 ish. Towing full loaded it's down to 18 to 20. Considering getting an economy remap done on it.

The clutch has just gone on it, stick with dial mass or put a solid flywheel on, what to do?

My 58 plate ranger plus cab tipper with a 2.5 tdci does thirty two on a run empty when religiously doing 56 ish. Towing full loaded it's down to 18 to 20. Considering getting an economy remap done on it.

The clutch has just gone on it, stick with dial mass or put a solid flywheel on, what to do?

Depends on the state of the DM flywheel. I was quoted £850 for clutch and new DM flywheel, £650 solid flywheel and clutch and £450 clutch only, 09 plate already on 2nd head and clutch at 200k miles.

Sorry for the hijack! That's what I thought but just to change the clutch 230 but to switch to a solid flywheel 530, that's parts only for both. The only advantage I can see with solid flywheel is that you can ride the clutch and cause less damage, I don't ride the clutch so not an issue for me. But I can't find out if you're regularly towing at the vehicles legal capacity which one will last longer and is the solid one that much stronger that it works out cheaper in the long term.

Sorry for the hijack! That's what I thought but just to change the clutch 230 but to switch to a solid flywheel 530, that's parts only for both. The only advantage I can see with solid flywheel is that you can ride the clutch and cause less damage, I don't ride the clutch so not an issue for me. But I can't find out if you're regularly towing at the vehicles legal capacity which one will last longer and is the solid one that much stronger that it works out cheaper in the long term.

My prices were for fitted at the local garage and don't include VAT. I cannot answer your question but the transits that we had clutches done where the DM flywheels were considered worn and replaced with solid seem OK.

It's funny reading all those figures. Buy a new Dodge Ram if your concerned about economy. Everybody laughed at me when I bought one but had them since 2009. Replaced it will a new one last year and get 17 mpg out of it all day long, it may drop to 16 if I tow 3 ton up the mway at 60 all day. 400hp of 5.7 litre hemi under the bonnet really doesn't struggle. She runs on lpg at cheaper than half the cost of petrol and depreciates less than you could imagine. Last one had 165'000 miles on in 5 years and depritiated 9 pence per mile. Compared to the last navara I bought in 2006 that lost 18 pence per mile. Only problem is you constantly get asked 'what do you get to the gallon mate?' Or where's the tanker? Following? Hahaha'. They normally shut up when you give them the facts or they look at their chelsie tractor and mutter something along the lines of loosing that when they drove of the forecourt.

Have you ever asked a navara or rodeo driver what they used to drive to be told ' a Dodge Ram, but this is better' nope thought not!

My prices were for fitted at the local garage and don't include VAT. I cannot answer your question but the transits that we had clutches done where the DM flywheels were considered worn and replaced with solid seem OK.

We did the same in a transit.... DM to solid... all ok so far...

It's funny reading all those figures. Buy a new Dodge Ram if your concerned about economy. Everybody laughed at me when I bought one but had them since 2009. Replaced it will a new one last year and get 17 mpg out of it all day long, it may drop to 16 if I tow 3 ton up the mway at 60 all day. 400hp of 5.7 litre hemi under the bonnet really doesn't struggle. She runs on lpg at cheaper than half the cost of petrol and depreciates less than you could imagine. Last one had 165'000 miles on in 5 years and depritiated 9 pence per mile. Compared to the last navara I bought in 2006 that lost 18 pence per mile. Only problem is you constantly get asked 'what do you get to the gallon mate?' Or where's the tanker? Following? Hahaha'. They normally shut up when you give them the facts or they look at their chelsie tractor and mutter something along the lines of loosing that when they drove of the forecourt.

Have you ever asked a navara or rodeo driver what they used to drive to be told ' a Dodge Ram, but this is better' nope thought not!

i think more consideration should be given to buying and running american pickup trucks.when all expenses are factored in they can be very competitive ,enjoying good resale prices. they are usually very enjoyable to drive as well as long as you dont mind left hand drive.