Climbing in the rain

Bald Monkey

Being just out of college and only getting the odd day climbing here and there today was my first day climbing a big tree in heavy persistant rain. I was really struggling to get out to the end of branches because there were so slippy with the moss covering the branches. In the end I was using both ends of the ropes and a strop and also at times straddling the branch and pushing myself out which wasn't ideal.

Does anybody have any tips on getting to the end of branches when they are slippy and peeing it down with rain?? Or do you just decide to knock it on the head for the day and come back to it when the weather is better?? Any advice would be great.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the job but I wouldn't be doing any branch walking. More straight forward climbing perhaps.

But usually I would go and do some other ground based work. You can't work as fast or as safely in persistant rain. Why waste time and energy when you can do the job in half the time tomorrow... and so usually I would knock it on the head.

if needs must you just have to get on with it, if you have learnt to climb at college, i take it it was on nice days or maybe slight drizzle, but in the real world you just have to hang on a bit tighter and get soaked, do what you have to do to get the tree down, if you want 2 ropes and 3 strops then use them, dont be scared to get on your arse and shuffle your way out onto a big limb. looking cool is for arb magazine photoshoots, a life as a tree climber in britain is an aching body, and wet clothes. its ok taking one day out if its wet but in this country we can miss 2 summers in a row quite frequently and get rained on most of the year, i worked with a young climber the other day who was up a big beech for 8 hours solid, wind and rain most of the day, he just got on with it and got the job done...i will be giving him a shout if i need a climber:001_cool:

also get used to using redirects so that your not doing big branch walks and if/when you do slip off your going to faceplant into the stem. I rate redis as better than 2 ropes (can of worms here) in the rain due to the weight of dragging two wet ropes around. and make sure you use a cambium saver/rope guide to stop ya rope turning into slimy mush

has anyone tried the petzl spiky over boots that are designed for walking on ice? 2mm studs that stick out-wouldnt penetrate the cambium (on thick bark) and could give heaps more grip.

has anyone tried the petzl spiky over boots that are designed for walking on ice? 2mm studs that stick out-wouldnt penetrate the cambium (on thick bark) and could give heaps more grip.

Ive still got a pair of spiked boots from my Logging days and now I only use them for climbing on wet trees.

to be honest mate i find that just chilling and making sure i hav a sound route is a good idea. keep a good high anchor and look and asses branches, i agree with drew ill re set and re direct to get good solid work positions. i double wrap my lanyard and use slings if i have to. try and be as comfy as u can too. i found it hard to do wt trees and now im in aus and th bark is so smooth its a nightmare to work so i look at the tree more u will know its right whn ur comfy on the ends with two hands on th saw.

good luck

Talk about rain On Mon it rained and rained I got so wet, I was on ground level ,by the time I had finished it had gone right through to my skinnies every part of me from Aprat from my boots and under my helmet was soaked through . The rain coat I was waring was useless so after a while I just took it off and thought what the heack its only water and no point trying to stop its decent now.

Just gone out to my local army surplus store and got a gortex jacket and legs for 30 quid all in so that should give me a good defence against the larger determind raindrops .

Don't mind the rain but nicer when its dry .

Eastwater:001_smile:

i spent most of today reducing a beech tree in the rain , i tend to use one end of my rope and a long strop . as the guys above have said take it slow and use redirects , also i bought some rock climbing webbing ring -strops of various lengths i use them to choker off round branches to put my feet in to climb out or you can add a revolver carab to it and use them like a re-direct , also tif you can get away with it just use a silky if you not cuttin anything too big off ! beats carrying an MS200 round a slipery tree in the rain

any way good luck out in the industry