Stickers invalidate car insurance

BobG

They wanted to know for me whether it was written or not. However they said there would be no extra charge. Not really sure why they wanted to know if it made no difference to risk.

It is my understanding they would want to know if vehicle was sign written as if you had an accident and they had to repair the bodywork there would be additional costs in reinstating any sign writing that was damaged.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume this is the No F..ing Use company who cost me 15k by not paying out on a 25k legal policy. Would not touch them with a barge pole after taking my money and no claims for over 20 years.

Oh, that's not good.

I stand corrected!

Got the same when robbed before Xmas, apparently had 30k of contents cover but the stuff you use to make the money that pays the premium isn't covered. Had to buy some eBay tools to keep working

All insurance I've had ive clearly stated what kit ive got its tedious but if you get a claim they can't riggle out of it .

A contents policy will not cover work gear.

I have heard of a premium being reduced for a Landrover which was signwritten on the basis that it was less attractive to thieves than a plain one.

Swings and roundabouts really, and they'll always find a way to wriggle out of paying if they can!

However I wonder what percentage of claims are fraudulent to some extent now. I suspect that it is shocking how many people try it on, so perhaps it's not surprising that insurance companies try to cover their backsides.

People seem more willing to slag off insurers for not paying while those who have had good experiences often (probably rightly) take it for granted - that is what they are supposed to do.

If you google insurance claims you will find a lot of outrageous claims.

Some people take the view that insurance is an evil tax so they are entitled to claim back a decent amont of money. The famous 'mate down the pub' will be full of ways you should get your money back.

The company I worked for had a claim where someone was clening out the loft and they accidentally dropped a 5ltr tin of emulsion through the hatch. Not only did it ruin the landing/stair carpet but their small child and dog both panicked and ran through it then all over the house, thus ruining every carpet in the house. All the carpets were, of course, recently laid and very expensive.

When the loss adjuster had the audacity to check up he noticed that the carpets were all threadbare, and the footprints faded as they went further fom the epicentre and then became thicker again (almost as if someone had taken the shoes back upstairs and re-loaded them with paint). Shock horror!

But it's always the insurers who get the blame.

People seem more willing to slag off insurers for not paying while those who have had good experiences often (probably rightly) take it for granted - that is what they are supposed to do.

If you google insurance claims you will find a lot of outrageous claims.

Some people take the view that insurance is an evil tax so they are entitled to claim back a decent amont of money. The famous 'mate down the pub' will be full of ways you should get your money back.

The company I worked for had a claim where someone was clening out the loft and they accidentally dropped a 5ltr tin of emulsion through the hatch. Not only did it ruin the landing/stair carpet but their small child and dog both panicked and ran through it then all over the house, thus ruining every carpet in the house. All the carpets were, of course, recently laid and very expensive.

When the loss adjuster had the audacity to check up he noticed that the carpets were all threadbare, and the footprints faded as they went further fom the epicentre and then became thicker again (almost as if someone had taken the shoes back upstairs and re-loaded them with paint). Shock horror!

But it's always the insurers who get the blame.

On the other hand ...Years ago when I was young and did not know jack sheet I had a crack in the toilet in the house i first bought . Eventually it started leaking . So I called the insurance company and said about it . He said " how did you break it ? " I said " it was like it when I moved in but only just started leaking " ..he said " No , HOW DID YOU BREAK IT " .. I said " Oh , yes errr I dropped a big spanner down it changing a tap washer " He said " we will send you a cheque " ......

One of my relatives was fitting a new bath and dropped the taps in it and broke it.

He was told over the phone that it was covered if the bath was fitted and he was changing the taps, but not if the bath was being installed.

The guy on the phone said

'I'll put down that you were putting the tap onto the bath - and we won't mention that it was a new bath' He was paid straight away for a new bath.

If you are unhappy with the way you are being treated you can mention the insurance ombudsman - that will at least get a jobsworth to speak to a manager and have some common sense appplied. If still unhappy go through the ombudsman and give the company some bad publicity, they don't like it.

ok i just rang NFU and asked them whether me applying signage, stickers, an electric winch up front and extra security by way of a fine weldmesh security cage inside the cab of my crewcab pickup in instead of the rear seats will cause me any insurance issues or incur any premium increase and they rang me back and said NO problem and it will NOT incur any more cost to my premium. I asked them to put that in writing in the form of an email as back up proof. Bit of paranoia on my part but it's one less ting to tink about !

I'm always surprised at peoples attitude when told anything they put on a vehicle is a modification - did it come out the factory with that on - no = modification. It's not difficult peeps. At the end of the day you want a policy to pay out if you claim so tell the company everything.

Yes, but claiming that a bumper sticker is a 'modification' is a bit petty, isn't it? There has to be some sort of limit. If someone waxes the paintwork or applies chipguard, is that a modification?