Fans on log burner?

swinny

We've got an Ecofan and it works great. The best example is that before we had it you could not touch the stainless register plate above for more than a moment without burning your hand. Since having it you can place your hand on the register plate no problem, it's still hot but not burning. No point in having all that heat going straight up.

I have looked into fans, as you would think having one very hot room in the house with a wood burner in it, the logic would be to use a fan to push the heat out of the room to the rest of the house. Fact a fan will cool air.

If you lay on the floor in the doorway of the room that has the wood burner in it you will feel a cool draft being pulled into the room, if you use a thermometer to see the difference between the floor and the highest part of the room there is a vast difference this is thermal cycling. Thermal cycling will move a huge amount of air. so in answer to the question all a fan will do is cool air and interrupt the natural flow of air.

I would buy one tomorrow if someone can prove they work but I think they are a placebo not as we see a fan moving but its moving without and power supply.

I think the only way a fan would work if one is placed at the top of the door adding to the thermal cycle.

I have looked into fans, as you would think having one very hot room in the house with a wood burner in it, the logic would be to use a fan to push the heat out of the room to the rest of the house. Fact a fan will cool air.

If you lay on the floor in the doorway of the room that has the wood burner in it you will feel a cool draft being pulled into the room, if you use a thermometer to see the difference between the floor and the highest part of the room there is a vast difference this is thermal cycling. Thermal cycling will move a huge amount of air. so in answer to the question all a fan will do is cool air and interrupt the natural flow of air.

I would buy one tomorrow if someone can prove they work but I think they are a placebo not as we see a fan moving but its moving without and power supply.

I think the only way a fan would work if one is placed at the top of the door adding to the thermal cycle.

Sure I read somewhere that it was the Amish people that popularised it, I wouldn't think it is a placebo, been about for generations.

HI MATE AS HODGE said there great we run a ECO FAN there the BEST move the heat around the house great im happy with it thanks jon :thumbup:

The effectiveness depends on your ceiling height and room lay out. Hot air rises, the room is heated from the ceiling downwards. Those without a fan stand on a chair when the stove has been running for a few hours, you will be surprised how hot it is up there. The fans push the heat out about another 20 feet and increase the temp at head height by 4 deg C ( 10 deg F), a significant improvement.

The Ecofan 2 blade is the best unit on the market and I have tested most. Generally I send them out on a sale or return basis, 80% plus stop sold.

Be aware that some tall contempory stoves have tops which just sit on top of the stove, (models such as the Morso S10 and 7940 series ) as such the tops are only in point contact with the stove and the temperature they reach is about half that on the sides. For an effective fan on those stoves the Ecofan 806 is the fan to go for. If your top is fixed to the sides as per a traditional stove then use the standard fans EF810 and EF812. Unless you are on a budget dont waste your money on the old Ef800 reintroduced to have a go at the copies, its far less efficient.

http://www.ecofan.co.uk/woodstove-ecofans.html

A

slightly flawed logic - the point of a fan is to move the hot air away from the stove quicker so that the cooler air that replaces it is heated, more heat is radiated to cooler air than to warmer air, meaning that less heat goes up the chimney.