broken stud repair

dig-dug-dan

If the stud is broken off flush or just below the surface I have had 100% sucess rate with the method below. It works on really small threads like the sheered off bleed nipples on Jonny Burch`s RB44 wheel cylinders to massive bolts on excavators.

Get a penny washer with a hole in it just smaller than the broken stud like on this l200 head and weld the washer to the end of the stud. You can get a good burn on this without getting it stuck to the head if you are careful.

Broken 8mm stud in an ali head

000_0090.jpg

Washer welded to the stud, you may need someone to hold the washer down to stop it moving.

000_0092.jpg

Then get a big nut like a 12mm and plug weld down through the middle. You can give this a roasting with the welder.

000_0093.jpg

Let it cool and undo it. This method never fails no matter how big or small the stud is , I think its the heat that helps

000_0094.jpg

Bob

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the stud is broken off flush or just below the surface I have had 100% sucess rate with the method below. It works on really small threads like the sheered off bleed nipples on Jonny Burch`s RB44 wheel cylinders to massive bolts on excavators.

Get a penny washer with a hole in it just smaller than the broken stud like on this l200 head and weld the washer to the end of the stud. You can get a good burn on this without getting it stuck to the head if you are careful.

Broken 8mm stud in an ali head

000_0090.jpg

Washer welded to the stud, you may need someone to hold the washer down to stop it moving.

Bob

Thats the method I use except I use a spot weld shroud on the mig to hold the washer tight

What you can also do is build up a small tit with the welder so as to locate the washer in the first place especially if the bolt has snapped off inside the hole.

Not sure about building a tit, the amps would need to be down to build it and to avoid melting surrounding metal so penetration may not very good?

Edited by slim reaper
added ?

That's how I remove stubborn bolts I did it recently to remove a sheared caliper bolt on my daughter's car, the mig is invaluable. For the simple job in hand I would straighten the hole up, tap it to the next size up and drill the exhaust flange to suit. Keep it simple.

that's the benefit of luxury of having tig welders around I can build up enough to get the washer and bolt trick to work the heat does the job to expand and contract the threads helping them to release from each other. I use a product called Super Crack Ultra from normfast through euro car parts which is a penetrating freeze spary very very effective especially in places heat would damage or isn't able to get to

that's the benefit of luxury of having tig welders around I can build up enough to get the washer and bolt trick to work the heat does the job to expand and contract the threads helping them to release from each other. I use a product called Super Crack Ultra from normfast through euro car parts which is a penetrating freeze spary very very effective especially in places heat would damage or isn't able to get to

Do you use TIG or MIG ? I always found TIG much harder to master .

I Tig daily 90% stainless and 9% mild and 1% aluminium once you have it mastered it really is a lovely welding process electric gas welding ! very clean very civilised we refer to it as gentleman's welding :)

I am proficient in Mig Arc tig and gas welding and brazing and tig is the most controllable and precise method I use :)