Climbers disciplined for refusing tree

sawmonkey220

I have seen a lot of very good climbers that arent and dont aspire to be super heros. :laugh1:

There are trees that are unclimbable, you just havent seen every tree in every situation.

More common are trees that are climbable but the job spec makes the work unachievable through climbing. Im not the worlds best climber but I havent came across many of the above.

I have heard lads say they will pull the HSE card if they cba doing the job and I have seen people try and force someone to do something that they themselves could not do in a million years.

Both idiots on the opposite side of the fence.

I wouldnt blame anyone (who generally is good at their job) thinking in a certain situation that they werent happy and would rather give it a miss or do it differently.

The spec one strikes a chord mate.

I was recently asked to do a 1m crown reduction of a leggy ash.

Anchors would have been in 1-1 1/2" stuff. Not my forte at the best of times, and the tree was in decline.

Ridiculous spec set by a non-climbing consultant

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The spec one strikes a chord mate.

I was recently asked to do a 1m crown reduction of a leggy ash.

Anchors would have been in 1-1 1/2" stuff. Not my forte at the best of times, and the tree was in decline.

Ridiculous spec set by a non-climbing consultant

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I often dream of having some kind of laser pen for those kind of jobs :001_smile:

I think it's pretty harsh to discipline said climbers, although as said even myself as a younger climber I do think some lads take a easy route of sometimes if they don't fancy it or looks too high for them. Not saying this was the case at all in the op instance.

on the other hand I have climbed trees I should have said no too, so have my workmates, which safe to say almost led to very serious accident/death. So when you look at both sides is it really worth it, better to be safe than sorry.

Also please correct me if I'm wrong but I have found the mentality of a employee is one much less willing take risks compared to the buisness owner as its their company and job etc, the lads are always going to be paid the same if they climb or not which is why they have probably decided to knock it on the head that certain day

Interesting.... I've been climbing now for 18 years.. What I understand about my job is that it is inherently dangerous.Experience has taught me how to deal with whatever situations come my way.As a climber i accept my job is dangerous (some times its get it down as quick as I can,before it comes down on its own)Many times i have found myself in a position that I really didnt want to be in,but DEALT WITH IT..to me the nature of what i do is not allways going to be happy or feel safe,but its what I do (choose to do? ) To me it is part of being a climber..I climb dead trees ,,,blah h blah blah....sometimes it worries the out of me ,but its my job,its what I do.

Recently in very high winds I didnt finish a job, first time in all of my climbing career..on one hand i was pissed that nature had beat me,on the other hand I was pleased that for once i had made a safe call...and I could go home to my family..

I think an experienced climber can make an experienced call. ...and if the op's company didnt have experienced climbers they were probably on a loser to start with....

regards disciplining them ,I really dont think the co have a leg to stand on,and I think the lads really should do some homework on employment laws

Edited by Stephen Blair

to answer Mesterh, every tree is climbable, humans have proved this! maybe not by me, but if it stands and is made of wood, someone will get up it!

as far as objects are concerned beneath, then there has to be a desicion made to avoid, move, protect or replace that object.

Its all part of the assessment when you look at the job.

If i get to a tree and the most important thing is to get it on the ground, then thats priority.

Would i make th same desicions if i worked for someone else? no!