Your first car ??

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lotus sunbeam (lookalike) runing a 2.1 pinto with all the trimmings thought i was brilliant !! within a week went round a roundabout broadside drifted into the kurb, ripped the tyres off the wheels rolled over, through a fence and down a banking, mangled the car i walked away but with a few injuries (the harness and bucket seats,roll bars helped) thinking back now what a tit:001_cool:

Thought i would get that nonsense out my head and bought a 3 litre capri a week later went round a ...............:001_tongue:

Cracking cars Sunbeams, lotus ones were propper fast, my mate had a 1600 one with a 1300 dif and gearbox bottom end it was very fast, we wrote it off in a very bad crash nearly went over a quary if we hadn't hit a hedge and a tree.

I drove my Dad's old farm pickup, which was a 1964 Ford F-100 with a 262 ci straight six and a four speed on the floor with the granny first gear. The only thing I ever did to it was one time we were driving through this creekbottom and you could get about a foot of air coming out of it and I sheared the bolts to the motor mounts. I fixed it in auto shop class in school. I finally bought my own pickup about 5 years later and my dad reposessed that one and traded it to my uncle for a brush chopper. My Uncle used it for another 15 years before it finally got parked. Everything was rusted out on it by then. One time I was going to the fair to show this project pig that I had and a tooth broke on the distributor gear and went and seized up a crankshaft bearing. My uncle's mechanic helped me (really I helped him) and we took it out disassembled it and sent the block to be machined and the head to be checked for cracks. We installed all the new parts and he even had the tools to install new valve guides, seats, and valves in the head. It cost me a little over a eleven hundred dollars and that included a new clutch, which seems kind of expensive now. This was in 1971. It had a bench seat and so was adaquate for those other type activities that boys like to do in their cars.

I had an E reg 1 litre Mini "Jet Black" special edition that I got for £600. There was absolutley nothing special about it. Tyres used to let themselves down on regular intervals, usually when you had somewhere important to go. You had to make deals with God everytime you took it on the Motorway. The lights decided to just turn off one night and I had to drive it home with spot lights on instead and the window wiper decided to fly off when I was doing about 60 on the A1.

But, I'm gutted I sold it and would have it back tomorrow!!!