Pfanner stretch air - failure :-(

climbingpete

8 months ago I bought a pair of pfanner stetch air trousers from fletcher stewart in Stockport. They cost £210. Now I wear them nearly every day, and upto last week they where the best trousers I had ever bought. However last week I was up a 60ft lime tree when the fly failed at the bottom, then the next thing the whole crotch failed and ripped apart. I took them back to Stewards today, to be told it was my fault for not wearing braces!!! I pointed out that I have owned stihl, sip and charterhouse richmond trousers and this has never happened to them, and I never wear braces (something else to get caught up in branches). I am really annoyed about this because I think it is a manufacturing defect and im intitled to a new pair. Does anyone have a contact address for pfanner so I can contact them direct? or any suggestions on what to do?

Pete

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same problem with several pairs of stihl hi flex , i kept sending them back to my local stihl dealer and in the end i got in contact with andreas stihl and spoke to there P.P.E division and they were less than help full , they asked me to sent the trousers back to them at my cost and they might look into it , hence i will not buy another pair of stih trousers again , i strongly reccomend that you give justin at F.R Jones a call , i bought a pair from them at the AA show and the zip broke on the first day so i called him he asked me to sent them back and he sent me a brand new pair ! simples , i could not reccomend him highly enough .

Pete

I actually said that wearing braces helps the trousers to fit correctly and stops the crotch from sitting to low. If these trousers had failed with-in the first few weeks then yes there might of been a manufacturing defect. But by your own admission these trousers have been worn nearly every day for the past 8 months. You have also forgotten to mention that i offered to repair these trousers free of charge as a guesture of good will.

I think you would be expecting a little too much to expect the trousers to be changed after 8 months of wear, however, Stretch air do have little annoying manufacturing faults that you should not really find in trousers that cost quite a lot of money.

if you wear trousers say a 40 hour week if you do the maths over 8 months thats around 1,280 hours of wear and tear not to bad if you got an offer for them to be repaired f.o.c .That works out about £6.50 per week i think correct if im wrong maths not brill same thing with all our PPE it will only last so long, just my view.

I picked up a Fletcher Stewart 2009 catalogue yesterday and there in black & white it says " Stretch Air now recommend that all their chainsaw trousers are worn with braces".

I checked the instructions that came with my Stretch Airs and definitely no mention of wearing braces.

Draw you own conclusions...

I think 8 months is ok for trousers, you`d hope they would last longer.

This is the reason i`ve stopped buy top end price ppe. Not because its poor quality but its a real pain when your super expensive ppe falls to pieces. I had that happen with some boots recently. I replaced my boots with a cheaper pair. Simple.