An alternative to firelighters?

Robbyrasta

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut toilet roll middles into rings of what ever thickness you desire. Then melt down any bits of old candles you may have knocking around. (We have friends donate these to us as well). Then mix in loads of sawdust / wood shavings (whatever you want to call it. The pile of stuff that builds up under where you've been using the chainsaw). You want just enough wax in it to bind it when it sets. Then pack this into the toilet roll middle rings. Voila home made firelighters using waste items.

You can do similar using yoghurt pots with a stick in the middle as a mould to make garden candles / torches. You can make bigger ones with bigger moulds and use them as logs to chuck on the BBQ when you're camping but so far I've found the wax tends to run everywhere once they've been burning for a while so not great if the mess in your BBQ will bother you. I have wondered about making them in old biscuit tins and burning them in the tin as a sort of portable campfire, but I haven't tried that yet.

Cut toilet roll middles into rings of what ever thickness you desire. Then melt down any bits of old candles you may have knocking around. (We have friends donate these to us as well). Then mix in loads of sawdust / wood shavings (whatever you want to call it. The pile of stuff that builds up under where you've been using the chainsaw). You want just enough wax in it to bind it when it sets. Then pack this into the toilet roll middle rings. Voila home made firelighters using waste items.

You can do similar using yoghurt pots with a stick in the middle as a mould to make garden candles / torches. You can make bigger ones with bigger moulds and use them as logs to chuck on the BBQ when you're camping but so far I've found the wax tends to run everywhere once they've been burning for a while so not great if the mess in your BBQ will bother you. I have wondered about making them in old biscuit tins and burning them in the tin as a sort of portable campfire, but I haven't tried that yet.

Don all this in my post . The real answer is bigish lumps of kindling and a MAP GAS ( yellow cylinder ) torch !!:biggrin: