The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally wouldn't report someone for tax evasion as I feel the govt takes and wastes more than enough of our money already. I can see where Logsnstuff is coming from though given he has invested in his business. However, firewood is an easily sourced, low skilled product so will also be viewed as sideline product by many. The fact so many tree surgeons view arb waste as a nuisance to be got rid of anyway possible highlights this perfectly. Any business dealing firewood just has to accept that is the market situation.

It's interesting this obsession in UK that all firewood must be sold dry. Travelling around continental Europe it seems the onus is very much on the house owner to season their timber as the houses are surrounded by stacks of wood, not this 6 to 10 inch nonsense we have either. Of course it's not such an urban society over there and you see families out at weekend gathering up wood in old harvesting sites.

I can see most posters points of view in this thread but the retard comment of out of order. End of. It has no replavance to the thread.

Hi HODGE THERES A LOT POST LIKE THAT out of order it just makes😭 Steve and mods job harder when there little need to it try and all get a long is best👍 thanks Jon 👍

I did logs a bit years ago but found as a tree surgeon it made more sense to keep what I personally needed and sold the rings and cords by the trailer load to a merchant.

My reasons for never doing logs again;

Trouble with logs is, (unless it the only form of heating in a home) not only is it weather dependant, but I think it's a bit of a luxury if you have gas/oil central heating that's cheaper and more efficient. Peopl love a fire but it's the first thing to go when there's no spare cash and the last thing to come back when there is!!!

Your a bit static imo. You earn some customers, sell them some logs. Your logs are either good and dear, or cheap and nasty but that's the basics of it. And as previously discussed in this thread, there will always be someone cheaper than you!!!

At least as a service type business like tree surgery, you start small, fight like f### to keep going despite the gypos and eventually (if your good enough) you move away from the jobs that gypos can do for beer money and end up in a different league where things like qualifications, insurance, and good business practise are the only way you can get the better jobs.

As I said not for me, log guys are better men than I. Hard work imo :)

It's interesting this obsession in UK that all firewood must be sold dry. Travelling around continental Europe it seems the onus is very much on the house owner to season their timber as the houses are surrounded by stacks of wood, not this 6 to 10 inch nonsense we have either. Of course it's not such an urban society over there and you see families out at weekend gathering up wood in old harvesting sites.

Hit the nail on the head, we need more education not regulation. All my regulars buy thier winters supply in during spring and summer so they dry it and store it as suits them even though it will be seasoned and have been dried in the shed for a period before I deliver it, charge same price as it would be in winter and I've always got some ready in the shed if they need a top up over winter.

Annecdote to illustrate the difficulty with firewood customers in this country:

I used to have a firewood customer until last year - closest house to the yard (only a few hundred metres away). Big open fire, liked 18" logs and chunky. Happy for a while, then got picky on species, insisting on non spitty hardwoods. I tried to promote the purchase of a stove (they use a lot of wood), but to no avail.

A year elapses, I've got a good stock of oak cord in the yard at the moment, and I offered them the chance to prebuy for next winter at a substantially reduced rate. So basically, they buy it now, it sits in crates until they need it, I deliver it and they have a guaranteed source of Oak (which is what they want).

Nope, not interested, can't think that far ahead (their words). The money isn't an issue (they have a chiropractic practice), they just don't want to take responsibility for their own supply.

As I only usually produce firewood as a byproduct of milling (it's not as pretty as normal firewood), I've no real need to sell it. It's sold cheap, take it or leave it. Most firewood customers are idiots, hard to change that.