Help on options for 4x4 with 3500kg towing...?

theflyingscotsman

As above looking to buy a new pick up or van that can tow 3500kg.

I've found various info on the newer pickups and some Land rovers, land cruiser, patrol and some jeeps...

My question to everyone is which is actually best for work (landscaping, tree work, logs)??

Ie: new pickup is around £20K+

Low mileage Shogun Lwb is around £12k+

I've a little kramer loader to tow about to jobs and need options as its 2.2t (probably closer to 2.5t with bucket/snow plough or forks) plus the plant trailer at around a ton..

Many thanks in advance..

The new Dmax extended cab yukon is top choice just now but is pricey..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pet "hobby-horse" at present, is the blind acceptance that 3500kg plant type trailers NEED to weigh about 1000kg.

I would be considering owt over 600kg as being too heavy.

Why not fabricate from aluminium alloy, or hi-yield steels, or at least sommat other than humble hot-dip galv mild steel.

The first firm to offer a good product in this catogory will clean up good.

regards,

Marcus

Get over it Marcus, trailers with aluminum chassis have been available for a long time.

Making an aluminum trailer strong enough and durable enough comes at such a high cost vs so little gain in capacity that I see no clean up.

My trailer is 750kgs-ish, 5m bed, and built to weigh 5500kgs. Its hot dip galvanized.

As above looking to buy a new pick up or van that can tow 3500kg.

I've found various info on the newer pickups and some Land rovers, land cruiser, patrol and some jeeps...

My question to everyone is which is actually best for work (landscaping, tree work, logs)??

Ie: new pickup is around £20K+

Low mileage Shogun Lwb is around £12k+

I've a little kramer loader to tow about to jobs and need options as its 2.2t (probably closer to 2.5t with bucket/snow plough or forks) plus the plant trailer at around a ton..

Many thanks in advance..

The new Dmax extended cab yukon is top choice just now but is pricey..

It may pay to have two vehicles, a small lightweight beavertail for the plant and machinery with a trailer for the add on kit that puts it overweight and a 4x4 for when you need to slosh about off road. 3.5 ton behind any 4x4 is no fun no matter which one it is. Its the tail wagging the dog.

Bob

But surely

Landrover =2.5 ton

Trailer = .5- 1 ton

Total = 3- 3.5 ton before anything is on the trailer.

You are now above 3.5 gross train weight, and you will need a tacho to carry anything on your trailer.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Arbtalk mobile app

Not quite correct, my landrovers TRAIN weight is 6550kg meaning the landrover and load on its bed can weigh up to 3050kg and it can also tow 3500kg to bring it up to its train weight- something which it does regularly towing a 2.8ton digger plus 500kg attachments in the pickup bed which also serves as necessary ballast to tow the heavy trailer.

All this talk about tail wagging dog is 100% down to bad driving and bad loading of trailer, iv never been wagged in my 110, simply cause I load it correctly and drive accordingly.

In response to OP, the landrovers are good towers being low geared (a problem which many other pickups suffer from is too higher gearing). I would say they handle 3500kg with relative ease on flat to moderate hills. Pulling 3500kg up a 1in3 hill can get interesting if you don't have the landrover ballasted enough- lack of traction, ifor trailer brakes don't work going backwards- so not enough weight in Landy means being pulled backwards if you have to stop when going up a steep hill.