Hedge trimming...advice please.

leswold

As other posts, cutting tops neat and level just comes with practice and experience. I have no jobs where customer would pay for hire of mewp, though would look impressive rolling up to site etc with that kit. Just be versatile for each hedge if can be done from ground with long reach kit great, or combi ladders, builders trestles +scaffolding boards, for tall stuff to reach across top I use ladders with approx. 5ft 8"x1" board f(securely) reduces dints in hedge and reduces risk of ladder + you falling through. Just be careful on the taller stuff make sure what ever your stood on is stable.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love trimming hedges with the use of a mewp, so much quicker and you get a much better finish. If the job justifies it, i would use one.

Just be careful there kentjames with those 11kv lines, very easy to make a mistake with mewp and long hedge cutter. Keep them in mind all the time. Stay safe bud.

Good point. Actually the appearance of the overhead lines is somewhat deceiving. I suspect they are much higher than the photo shows. Great way to shear that hedge none the less:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

Some of the most important things aside from access are - taking your time and remember once it's gone it's gone , I see all to many hedges that look amazing apart from the bit where someone has cut too much off and tried to blend it in , keep a can of gt85 or similar and every time you fuel the trimmer give the cutters a good coating of lube - I have found this allows the trimmer to work at optimum speed without the rein and sap slowing it back , and lastly make sure that you allow your self plenty of time , it's easy to rush a trimming a hedge and it really can make the difference between an amazing job and an ok' ish job

Good point. Actually the appearance of the overhead lines is somewhat deceiving. I suspect they are much higher than the photo shows. Great way to shear that hedge none the less:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

Ted's on the ball with this one, yes it is very deceiving as they are higher than it looks. But yes Marc I am always mindful of what and where i am doing with the cutter at full extension!!

A Stihl Kombisystem is well worth considering. I have the pole pruner, 180 scrub cutter, blower and strimmer head. It doesnt do every job perfect but acceptable. Ive a Stihl 45 hedge cutter. I was going to get the pro model this year but its too heavy and I get paid per day so I didnt upgrade yet... The comment about the oil on the cutters is a great tip Ill be taking up. Remember to grease the gearboxes on trimmers at least annualy, maybe more if used full time. Leylandi allergy rash is very annoying so cover up if you get it

A Stihl Kombisystem is well worth considering. I have the pole pruner, 180 scrub cutter, blower and strimmer head. It doesnt do every job perfect but acceptable. Ive a Stihl 45 hedge cutter. I was going to get the pro model this year but its too heavy and I get paid per day so I didnt upgrade yet... The comment about the oil on the cutters is a great tip Ill be taking up. Remember to grease the gearboxes on trimmers at least annualy, maybe more if used full time. Leylandi allergy rash is very annoying so cover up if you get it

It's far better to top the grease up everyday you use them, gives you peace of mind that it's not running dry. Only takes 20 seconds

28 posts and no one has mentioned getting into the hedge.

I use tall steps if require, i.e. the hedge is to thin to support my weight, but I much prefer climbing inside the hedge.

How do you do the face from climbing in the hedge?