Leaving Main line up a tree

Bayhales

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left my brand new Blue tongue in a Eucalyptus once. I was climbing over two days, I used my 45m B.T at the top of the canopy, (it was close to 45m to the tips), I ended up moving my anchor down a bit, then decended as far as I could on the B.T, then swapped to my 30m rope to get to the ground, and swapped that for a throwline. I didn't feel good climbing back up my B.T, I was worried a possum might have been nibbling on it over night!

Leave a line in tree quite often - especially for removals where I can isolate rope at the top of the tree using Maillon Quick Link and the non-working end is well out of reach.

It's more to do with work planning. I.e. sometimes if I have a larger crew on, say 4-5 then two of us will go ahead and prep for tomorrows job while the rest of the crew clean up and finish todays' last job, e.g.

1. Install high line for SRT access.
  2. Ascend and clean up small stuff on the way.
  3. Install rigging and tie off first large limb ready for cutting and lowering in the morning.

That way, when we turn up on site the next day we're straight into the real work without having crew on the ground twiddling their thumbs. Also, my skills with the Big Shot are inversely proportional to the number of people watching!

Of course we do work in areas where you can leave your keys in vehicles and doors unlocked (overnight even.) I really pity you guys in the UK where everything must be chained up and locked up with guard dog at the ready.

I've returned to a tree the next day to find chattering of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos in the tree with several hanging off and biting my rope. The birds disappeared in a cloud of white feathers when I started the 200T and the rope was fine - no damage.

Once left my rope in a tree. Winter time and light rain. When I arrived in the morning, it was freezing, and the rope was rock hard. Impossible to climb :(

When I was a subby climber, if I was working for a firm for a few days I'd leave my climbing kit at their premises. I had to stop doing that one winter, as my ropes were freezing overnight.