Bad dreams

Stereo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, I hope you all don't think I'm a tosser or anything but I've got something going on which is impacting my life, so to speak. I cut down on the booze big time a while back as it was getting serious so now I get to bed early and get up early, usually pretty fresh, without the old hangover feeling. So, pleased with that.

But, I get these fking dreams that are so real and usually bad that I wake up in a bad mood. Sounds stupid but I can't shake it some days. Can be anything with me or my family or something random but it's so vivid, it's like I lived it. It's like I get post traumatic stress or something similar (obviously nothing like folk who really have seen bad stuff).

I know it's nothing real but I feel like I've been through it every night. Starting to think I would be better off drowning it out again. Any ideas / remedies that are not out of a wine bottle? Anyone else get this?

HI MATE hope you get FEEL better very soon mate thanks some think on here im i love cizzer BUT I DO NOT DRINK THANKS ALL BEST MATE:thumbup1: JON:thumbup:

First question, is the dream in black and white or full vivid colour? Might also be be muted like sepia.

2nd: Hydration?

3rd: any resemblance to things that have happened? example being chased / stuck / fatigued / fighting / repetition / physical trauma / bored ?

4th: wake up very dry mouth?

I'm not going back on the booze as it was starting to ruin my life day to day. Feel so much better and more positive now and not like I'm slowly killing myself. Just hacked off that there seems to be a price. Like you say, it's like it's in HD. Maybe I need to see someone. I've tried all the herb tea type ideas.

Hi Stereo

Well done... Very often when people stop taking drink and drugs there is a rebound/reaction that takes place. Because we don't experience the full range of our emotions when we drink or self medicate with drugs, once we stop there is a build up. After a while our emotions tend to "even out". Crazy dreams and mood swings are quite common among people in recovery.

I gave up 20 years of chronic heroin addiction and have been totally clean for 8 years. Different poison I know but basically addiction is the same whatever the substance.

I work for a large rehab charity working with recovering addicts so I have a fair bit of experience in these things.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel. Please PM me if you want a chat.

All the best and keep up the good work! :)

Timon

Thanks all for your comments. The humour is fine. The dreams seem to be an extension of what has happened. Like the worst thing. So, the other day I lost some of my rare breed hens to a fox. Bad but not life ending. That's life. So last night I had some weird dream which started off with me finding one of them and developed into some mad story where the chicken farmer next door (there is none in real life) had stolen all my birds and then his crazy dog had eaten them. Then there were other people and my brother worked for him and eventually told me his name was 'Staddon'. I don't know anyone called Staddon. Anyway, the whole thing escalated and all my rare breed hens got mixed up and stolen or let out or eaten or something and it all ended up with me being in a nightmare, out of control situation and my business in ruins. There were people coming through the hedges and busting down fences and birds everywhere.

This sounds nuts I know but I put a hell of a lot of work into my rare breed poultry and make a few quid out of it. So to have it all torn apart is hard to take. The stupid thing is that it still affects me after I have been up in the morning and seen that they are all fine. Gave me actual stress today which is totally stupid. Hard to explain and that is just one example. There are other scenarios. I guess I'm just more awake than I was on the booze and need to learn how to deal with that.

The thing is that the dreams are so real that I have to constantly confirm what has happened and what has not. Fricking nutcase.

Edited by Stereo

It's pretty intriguing Stereo.

I love dreaming, some really random stuff, but hardly ever bad stuff, even if I've had a bad day or week.

When I was a kid (I mean a kid, pre sexy dreams!)I used to have dreams that were so good I was acutely disappointed when I woke up!

Weird thing, the brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I dream everynight, normally don't remember details except for when it's a nightmare then that's in full hd surround sound 4D you name it its in it! Worst is falling asleep while driving normally when I haven't had a sit down after driving then going to sleep or as mentioned before dehydration plays a big part in triggering it with me. Had to teach myself how to shut it out and think differently almost manipulate my dream into the way I want it to go.