slow cooker time again ????

predator

Super quick pheasant slow cooker recipe (a grand term - it usually takes me 5 minutes to prep before work and it's done when I get back).

* One whole pheasant, defrosted overnight into the slow cooker (slow cooker was £12 from Lidl I think).

* Lots of cracked black pepper, sprinkling of salt on top, chili flakes and dash of oil

* Roughly chop half an onion, a bit of root veg (ie, a carrot, a parsnip and a potato would do). Garlic clove or three and a bit of root ginger if you're feeling adventurous. Chuck it all in.

* Liquid - stock cube in 300ml boiling water, 150ml red wine. Chuck it in.

Set it going on the high setting (which in a slow cooker is very slow). Turn the pheasant over after 3-4hrs if you are there, otherwise it doesn't matter. Anywhere from 4hrs it's ready, though it will happily simmer for 10hrs.

I usually have it with roast veg, and later strip off all the wee bits of meat and have the resulting broth/soup with bread a day or two after. I try not to waste any of it as it's bloody tasty.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

please has anyone got any tips on using one and any nice wholesome favorite recipes that will stick to your ribs in the colder weather etc

Hi

We have one from Sainsburys works really well, tips (from Mrs NFG):

Make sure all veg is chopped up to the same size.

Pre-boil any fluid you may use.

Onions take a long time to cook so soften them by cooking normally about 3 mins before hand.

Enjoy

N

Dust the meat with seasoned flour before browning, helps thicken the sauce. I like to add fruit jams, preserves for the final half hour before serving.

Apricot in a beef stew is nice and works well with half a bottle of red wine.

Redcurrent jelly with lamb shanks is a nice change from rosemary and garlic.

If you are finding you have a lot of watery gravy, I laddle out the gravy and place in a big flat frying pan to reduce quickly and add a knob of butter to make it glossy and stir in the fruit jam of choice then back in the pot and mix.

I don't bother grinding spices like cumin seeds or coriander as they are in there for so long. Slow cooked lamb curry is one to try.

I put my main veg in for just the last 30mins or so as they will go to mush. Any veg put in at the start is also browned for extra flavour.

If i'm making a chicken dish like spanish chicken, chicken fajitas, chicken casserole, curry I cook the sauce for hours to release all the flavour and add large chunks of chicken breast that have been poached just before serving.

For an oriental twist I put big slices of braising steak in with soy sauce, fish sauce, five spice, leek, chillies, ginger and garlic and leave it for the afternoon. great with rice or noodles. (good with pork too. marinade the pork in pineapple juice over night first)

I like my italian bolognaise type sauce as well in the slow cooker diced venison or wild boar good alternative to best butchers steak mince. Also try BIG meatballs with plenty of parmessan, herbs, diced smoked bacon, pork mince and beef mince, breadcrumbs and eggs to bind. Remember and brown those balls.

I read somewhere about doing a sticky toffee pudding in the slow cooker and a cheesecake but never tried it yet.

Like your style! Written well, I bet it tastes even better! Been on Amazon scoping slow cookers today!

Dont need to buy an electric one.

My sister uses an insulated box that she bought years ago called I think a 'hot box'. Basically a cardboard box with two bean bags with a pot sized space in the middle.

Prep etc and brown as normal, get everything in and cooking away on the stove, then bung in the box (make sure it is nicely sealed - which it must be for the lid to close) till you get home from work.

She does a nice venison dish amongst others.

African version is to do the same in a three leg pot over coals in a pit then fill pit to cover pot and come back a good few hours later.

Maybe not the best idea in the UK in winter :lol:

i got chicken breast on the go with winter veg and half a bag of morrisons barleybroth soup mix its got chick peas lentils etc etc oh and dumplins it looks and tastes like a propper chicken broth all gloopy n thick like me just how i like it maybe a warm lump of french stick and butter with it tonight when its ready it should last me 3 days but then again visitors may get to it first as the house smells lovely now as its cookin slooooowly mouths watering as i type lol

Chilli is awesome like that Mark I did a massive load for our bonfire night party, 2 kilo of shin, cooked the day before, served on a baked tattie....

I bought a load or pork belly today, gonna try jerk pork with yams and dumplings....

The hugh fearnlley whittingstall lancashire hotpot is awesome BTW, that would probably work in a slow cooker, maybe in the oven at the end to crisp up the tatties......