Repeated scored pistons on Stihls - time to switch to Aspen?!

Andrew Barrett

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would buy a tach and then just tune the MS660s down to 12,500rpm, 1,000rpm under the maximum rpm for the saw and plenty of safety buffer.

The mix is one element as is the type of oil, air leaks and also how the machine is set up. If the saw is tached with a new piston, maximum revs will change as it beds down and also the length of the bar will change the flat out speed of the saw.

If the saw was tached at say 13,000rpm on a 3' bar, if someone slaps on a 20" one, it will add to the chances of it failing!

It isn't JUST about fuel mix!

Used to use normal unleaded - only switched to the super and stopped using supermarkets after started having these problems. An ex-mechanic friend suggested I try doing this as the normal unleaded may have more ethanol in it.

Super market fuel is a flat NO NO . Forecourt fuel like Esso or BP should be ok . If you look on the side of the pump it should be marked with E5 or E10 . I think this denotes the % ethenol .

I had a theory about saws being run until they were empty,lads revving them until the saw stalled from lack of fuel..I thought at the very last the saw maybe firing on vapour and this could be causing issues.I now never let my saws run dry.Just my uneducated theory,I'm sure one of you more knowledgeable engine chaps can set me right:001_smile:

Is this an English problem? I've used supermarket fuels for over 10 years and never had problems with saws brought on by crap fuel...

I've said it now haven't I?

Its more a US problem but becoming a problem here . The ethanol content is higher over the pond and causing carnage in small engines .

I had a theory about saws being run until they were empty,lads revving them until the saw stalled from lack of fuel..I thought at the very last the saw maybe firing on vapour and this could be causing issues.I now never let my saws run dry.Just my uneducated theory,I'm sure one of you more knowledgeable engine chaps can set me right:001_smile:

I religiously switch off as soon as I hear it running out of fuel, I don't know why I do it, just always have. Be interesting to know if it makes a difference?

I religiously switch off as soon as I hear it running out of fuel, I don't know why I do it, just always have. Be interesting to know if it makes a difference?

I would also like to know. I always considered it risky to carry on cutting hard once the saw showed signs of running out simply because revs go up and the leaner mixture runs hotter.

had a chat with the fella at local husky dealer yesterday (david dixons) who'd just been to meet husky people and was told that they are no longer aloud to blame siezures/problems on not using the posh husky 2 stoke oil as other brands of oil (stihl, oregon etc) are as good - more to do with whether its a semi sythetic etc.