First arb vehicle - van or truck? New or used? Buy or lease?

Shipwrecked Bones

I've always liked to have a pickup. You can pile brash on them easier and fit a hard top if you ever need it more van like. So it's the best of both worlds.

This topic has actually come at a very good time. I'm a big vehicle changer. I just worked out before I read this that I've spent nearly £60k in 12 years on various trucks and still have little to show for it. I also have a lot of kit which was worth spending on, but the vehicles weren't.

The chap I sub for on the other hand has been running for a similar time to me. He's spent around £3k in the same period. A £1k Mazda pickup and then a £2k 2wd Ford Ranger extra cab (which I would suggest you look at). He hasn't earned any less than I have, although I have used him as a trailer on several jobs where my 4x4's have saved his bacon! Have they been £57k better though? That I doubt!

Give it some real thought and spend wisely. Changing things is a costly process so buy the best you can comfortably afford without finance and look after it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe consider getting a towing licence and then a landrover discovery and trailer combo, 4x4, tow 3.5t, plenty of room for tools, a car too and £2000 will get you a decent 300tdi.

I personally have a Ford Fiesta van, 50mpg+ at 80mile a hour on motorways ( ideal for subbying and quoting and visiting the gf 50mile away), I made do with this for 2 years self employed. I used it to carry kit to and from jobs, and sorted my mate a few quid on my own jobs for bringing his landy tipper along to carry tree gash for me. I saved and got a Nissan cabstar( cost me £1800), then I could carry my own tree arisings which was handy as I could do work as and when I like. Eventually a few months ago I got a chipper, and tow it with the cabstar, life is good now :P . My next investment is a old discovery, then a decent trailer.

Start small and cheap, carry on that way for as long as possible so your vehicles owe you nothing, invest in decent kit slowly but regularly and save save save, simples :)

Thinking of getting a pickup to start with. What is best Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux, should I get a king cab so I can lock my tools away. Does anybody know how much weight you can carry and how much you can tow as I may get a descent trailer. My son is starting up a garden and tree services business and possibly doing some sub work. Does anybody use one to chip into and tow a chipper.

2W or 4W so many choices. Whats your experiences. Would probably look at upgrading in the future if there is enough work to a Nissan Cabstar or a Isuzu Grafter tipper,

I'd not spend even the 4k you have on a van starting out, that's a fool's way to loose money quickly. I've seen it multiple times, young lads with a nice shiny truck but no tools to earn with. That truck quickly gets downgraded, and 90% of the time they end up back working for someone.

I spent £3500 on my first truck, an ldv. It was constantly in and out of the garage, or breaking down. In addition to the garage bills, I also had the loss of earnings when the truck broke down. I now buy new and replace my truck every 3 years. Monthly payments are about £280. I'm convinced that its the cheaper option, and plus I have peace of mind. I won't buy used again.

I spent £3500 on my first truck, an ldv. It was constantly in and out of the garage, or breaking down. In addition to the garage bills, I also had the loss of earnings when the truck broke down. I now buy new and replace my truck every 3 years. Monthly payments are about £280. I'm convinced that its the cheaper option, and plus I have peace of mind. I won't buy used again.

Do you get a new chip body built each time or transfer the body to the new truck?

Do you get a new chip body built each time or transfer the body to the new truck?

I drive a navara. I have no need for a tipper anymore these days as I don't take on any private work. If I were to buy a new tipper though I would go the same route, probably splash out on a grp body and transfer it each time.

I'm replacing my tipper truck next year. If your going down the new vehicle rd here's some of the best prices I've found. Cheapest is the Peugeot boxer at £15000, Nissan cabstar £16500, izuzu grafter £20000, ford transit £20000, iveco daily £23000.

+ vat.

As we all know buying anything used is a gamble- sometimes you can hit the jackpot and pick up a really sound vehicle which gives minimal bother, keep it a few years and probably sell it on for not much less than you paid for it. Buying new is less of a gamble, you are more guaranteed that you will get trouble free motoring for a few years with good dealer backup, however the moment you drive that shiny truck away from the showroom you are losing money quickly.

I guess it comes down to how much value you put on downtime, loss of earnings due to breakdowns will almost certainly cost you more than regular planned finance, but I think this is more suited to an established/busy business where you can support the finance better than the downtime.

For new starters I think you would be mad to buy a financed/new truck (unless you come into money and you can buy outright). if work doesn't pick up enough how will you support the payments- and you will certainly loseout big time when you have to sell it, chances are if you are just starting out you will have time on your hands, if the truck breaks down you just have to push the job on a few days- helps if your handy with mechanics.

Me and a mate both purchased landrover hicaps when we started out,(4-5k trucks) mine has been excellent and had very little spent on it other than general wear and tear costs, and its worked HARD. His on the other hand has been a nightmare and cost him £kkks in repairs of one sort or another, its all a gamble which most businesses take at one point or another.:thumbup1:

i spent £450 on my first truck an ldv. it only needed a bit of tlc a king pin, an exhaust and brakes when required. it served me for 4 years and i sold it for £700. it has then passed two mots with no major issues and still on the road today. i will have to make the owner an offer when my fancy newer truck dies. ldv are so cheap and easy to fix i keep a second ldv in the yard as a back up

i would probably never buy new because im from scotland :001_tt2: