Log Goblins

aspenarb

It's the best way of keeping "us minions" down.

Why we are still using drinking water to flush toilets is beyond me.

Quite.

As arbtalk’s number one man in the number two business, what’s the solution to the water issue? Rainwater tank in every house? Send untreated water through the pipes and let people buy drinking water in bottles? Or is it even an issue? The taps very rarely run dry in the UK. Maybe it’s wet enough here to allow us to be wasteful.
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Quite.

As arbtalk’s number one man in the number two business, what’s the solution to the water issue? Rainwater tank in every house? Send untreated water through the pipes and let people buy drinking water in bottles? Or is it even an issue? The taps very rarely run dry in the UK. Maybe it’s wet enough here to allow us to be wasteful.

I don't think there is any need for us all to be drinking bottled water, but on new build houses it wouldn't cost a lot more to install rain water harvesting systems to flush the bog, or water the garden. We certainly aren't wet enough, if we were water companies wouldn't  impose hosepipe bans.

Edited by eggsarascal

I don't think there is any need for us all to be drinking bottled water, but on new build houses it wouldn't cost a lot more to install rain water harvesting systems to flush the bog, or water the garden. We certainly aren't wet enough, if we were water companies wouldn't  impose hosepipe bans.

Perfectly logical. I find these kind of logistics pretty interesting. Arbtalk has been long been the poorer for not having a “today’s burst shitpipe” thread. You could model it on Paul’s.
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Perfectly logical. I find these kind of logistics pretty interesting. Arbtalk has been long been the poorer for not having a “today’s burst shitpipe” thread. You could model it on Paul’s.

I'm not sure this idea as got legs.

"In desperate times my drain rods saved the day".

It just doesn't sound right imho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skyhuck said:

Poverty is a funny thing these days. People travel to food banks in their car with a £600 phone in their pocket.

If that's so it doesn't surprise me, some people are just hard wired to want something for nothing, probably the same sort of people that empty their cars of rubbish in a beauty spot.

BTW I'm a log goblin since I no longer have access to left over wood from work.

3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

If that's so it doesn't surprise me, some people are just hard wired to want something for nothing, probably the same sort of people that empty their cars of rubbish in a beauty spot.

BTW I'm a log goblin since I no longer have access to left over wood from work.

Do you think it so, though?

The food bank I've helped out in certainly isn't like that. Yes, plenty of the people that use it have a mobile phone, but very few have cars. Phones are ten a penny these days, and I don't see how anyone can get work without one.

I'm sure you can remember the days when people used to go down to the local phone box at an arrange time to receive a call, not to collect a secondhand book, or use the defibrillator.

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

On the other, the current systems of taxation, land ownership and regulation are going a long way to keeping people renting and slaving their entire lives. It’s all relative of course; we flush toilets with drinking water.

50 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

It's the best way of keeping "us minions" down.

I don't see it that way, it's not so much them and us but more us when we are wealthy and us that are not so wealthy. It's human nature to want more than the other person and capitalism ( the most successful economic model so far) just mimics those traits, collectively we are not yet able to make sufficient provision to look after the whole society. After the war, when people realised their interdependency, there was a good stab at it  with the welfare state but as time goes by  that ethos is forgotten as the rewards for those that are more successful grow.

50 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Why we are still using drinking water to flush toilets is beyond me.

I've wanted to do this but  with my water not metered (and even if it were it's only about £5.tonne isn't it?) the costs benefit isn't obvious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Do you think it so, though?

I don't know. I don't even know if there is a food bank locally but was quoting Skyhuck's assertion, with a caveat.

I've always existed in the  less than average income bracket but no where near poor as some people I meet, some hard-working in the past some wasters. OTOH the arrogance of the wealthier people I meet and have worked for makes me think they do class those beneath them as untermensch.

41 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I don't see it that way, it's not so much them and us but more us when we are wealthy and us that are not so wealthy. It's human nature to want more than the other person and capitalism ( the most successful economic model so far) just mimics those traits, collectively we are not yet able to make sufficient provision to look after the whole society. After the war, when people realised their interdependency, there was a good stab at it  with the welfare state but as time goes by  that ethos is forgotten as the rewards for those that are more successful grow.

I've wanted to do this but  with my water not metered (and even if it were it's only about £5.tonne isn't it?) the costs benefit isn't obvious.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the first bit.

Water costs about £1.50/m3/tonne, without sewage costs, so in the grand scheme it's not a lot, but when you see how much water is put on domestic gardens over the summer months it's a huge amount, that's before what farmers and the like use to water crops, remembering they don't all have boreholes for back up.

Just to add a bit, ask one of the few members on here who have narrow boats on the inland waterways if there is plenty of water about. I'd dare bet my house many of them will have had to run water down from one pound to the next to refloat. Remembering the canals are one of the ways we shift final effluent, that becomes drinking water.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

Except farmers will be on a metered supply and paying for every drop,

the average consumer does not give a toss,

hey water's free.

innit !

P.S.

We are also on a metered supply, I know the cost of water, but actually I did before I had to pay for it, growing up on a non-mains supplied farmplace.