The Burning Issue - Truck MPG becoming a major headache...

TimberCutterDartmoor

You see some really tidy little cars like 1.0 Fiestas and such for well under £1k.

Need to sit down and do the maths.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Both my wife and my dad have vauxhall agila's. they have a 3cyl 1 ltr engine. Bags of room inside. My dad uses his like a van, puts the rotavator in and alsorts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seams that you like many of us want the golden goose, there is nothing that will tow like a 4x4, carry loads of logs etc and return decent fuel economy, if there was then we would all be using one.

Reckon that's very true Hodge.

I think if you're a big enough firm and do enough milage where you can use a little car/van as well, then great, but for the majority of people I'm not conviced it would be worth it. It's not just the fuel, there's all the other bits like tax,insurance, mot, bt most of all - unexpectd repairs.

A few years ago I used to run a Hilux and an LPG converted Legacy (the legacy worked out similar money to fuel as a small diesel van) and that worked really well, but only because the Legacy just ran and ran and ran and had been seriously cheap to buy in the first place. When it got to the stage it needed more spending on it that was worth doing it went and didn't get replaced.

I think heavy fuel use is just part and parcel for most of us and just needs accepting - I decided I'd rather have 4wd and know there's a good chance I'm going to get where I need to rather tthan running the risk of a long walk to find a friendly farmer or some phone signal.

Just put alloys with wider semi off road tyres on the hilux, massive difference in thirst... Think Ill have to do summer- winter tyre sets

yep thats what i shudda done too as i run my pickup all year round on BFG Muddies and as a result i loose about 40-50 miles from every tank full fer crying out loud :001_rolleyes: when i was running a mild (more road oriented) version of General Grabbers i was getting much better mpg but they were no good off road at all.

yep thats what i shudda done too as i run my pickup all year round on BFG Muddies and as a result i loose about 40-50 miles from every tank full fer crying out loud :001_rolleyes: when i was running a mild (more road oriented) version of General Grabbers i was getting much better mpg but they were no good off road at all.

I went from AT's to MT's and found no difference at all! Work that out! :laugh1:

I went from AT's to MT's and found no difference at all! Work that out! :laugh1:

I don't think it makes much difference on the l200 due to the low gearing. The plus side is it's better for towing and nippy around town. Down side is it won't be so good on fast roads.

I have run small run a rounds but find at the end of the year you may save £300 on fuel after the extra bills but you can't use it in thick snow they don't normally have air con during a heat wave the seats are poor and you are sat 3 inches off the deck. The extra hassle of administration kills off the last £300 .

I just had a look at it on Autotrader looks good! What have you replaced it with?

In your description it doesn't mention towing heavy generators? Or reversing onto ford mondeo bonnets :-)

I think it has only towed two generators we have been so busy installing new sets the customers tend to hang onto the old stuff and eBay them. The new ones normally go out on hiabs.

Luckily the disco had an old ifor Williams trailer on the back no damage to my vehicles :lol: was all going through the insurance but not heard a thing.

Steve what are you getting or got instead.

No idea really if the hilux towed over 3 tonne I would have one. The dmax has to be high on the list due to towing ability. I may look at a new ranger but I did say I would never buy another ford while I had a hole in my butt :biggrin:. For now it's a mint 2011 Vito and a mega reliable faithful amazon.

A few years ago I was running 3 teams travelling 75 miles there and back each day. Rather than drag, chipper, landrover tipper etc down each day, we would all pile in the disco and leave rest of vehicles and trailers there. Not the answer for your problem but worked for us.

The newer Rangers, i.e. '07' onwards, are very good on fuel.