New carver

Fieldarcher

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used an ms170 for 4 years with a husky357xp/ stihl ms361 for blocking out. this was fine and i got it second hand for £30 and had no real issues with it. nice and light.

i would however not bother buying it new and would save up for a pro model light 35cc saw. i have just bought a backhandle dolmar ps3410 which is very similar to an stihl ms200 which is a robust and lightwieght saw. you can get a dolmar for about £320 or pay a bit more and get it with a carving bar. i'd speak to shavey on here about it. however i have only just got it and it runs very well, is very powerful and wieghs about 3.5kg with bar and chain.

there are also echo equivilents cs360 back handle looks pretty tempting also but have never used this.

personally i would say that the 211 is quite close in power and size to a 181 and would again suggest saving slightly more and getting a pro saw 50-60cc and i would say this does not HAVE to be a stihl or husky (although they are great) and would def look at makita/dolmar/echo. seriously, if i had to replace my saws tomorrow i would be getting them. not sure if you were suggesting getting both saws or just one. honestly unless your doing alot of massive things you'll survive with one saw for a bit, particularly if you don't mine swapping bar and chains from carving to rollernose for big deep hot cuts!

have fun and keep asking questions!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice guys.

I took the plunge and ordered the 211 today.

Thanks for giving up a full day to spend showing me how it's done Dave ( Dervish Carver). You gave me a lot to think about.

A local art gallery ( Art village - Facebook )heard about "Eddie" and asked ME (lol) if they could have him for their new collection . 5 weeks in and things are moving faster than I can keep up with lol.

SO next question :-

I'm looking at getting a good pair of chainsaw trousers to replace the basic ones I have. After going square eyed looking through the web it has become apparent to me that the pricing structure is based around company's paying for PPE but where does that leave guys like us who have to find the cash for essential equipment like this. The thought of being trapped inside a pair of heavy overheating trousers is a real issue for me so I'm drawn to the trousers with venting etc but £300 really. I don't compromise in my sport so I'm not going to here , I would just like your experienced advice on what you have found is the best and good value.