New carver

Fieldarcher

Hello

I've been a Field archer for a few years now and I wanted to start learning to carve with a chainsaw. The club members are keen for me to add a few sculptures round the course.

I would like to buy a chainsaw just for fine detail work. I know very little but so far I know I need a dime blade .

Any help in this area would be great , such as best make , best price and where in the uk to buy.

Thanks

Derek

Ps I've hopefully attached my first go ( still working on it)at this new hobby that has so got a hold of me

image.jpg.ae57b255127fa3475d7f672627029437.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I have been carving for a few yrs now and have a ms180 and have been using a sthil carving bar but just got a sugi hara bar from Rob D on hear and its so light its a joy to use (thanks Rob) so I would get a small ms 170/180 and a sugi hara bar but other people may differ either way you will need a small saw and carving bar Rob D on hear can sort you with any bars and chains you need ,nice work for your first one keep it up what part of the country are you in if near dorset you would be welcome to come to do some work in our yard we always welcome anyone to come and do some work together we also have stained glass and welding/metal craft if anyone is interested just P M me keep up the good work and welcome

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark

I would love to come and learn from you guys but I'm up in Glasgow so just a bit far. Three weeks ago I bought a cheep chainsaw and had a go at a tree spirit so the eagle isn't my first . It is my first 3d attempt and he's a bit too straight. I am going to detach him from the base and mount him as if he's in flight on a steel box section from an old trunk above one of the targets ( I will post a picture once I do this ).

The one thing realised after that first day was that I needed a carving chainsaw as my arms were on fire and stayed that way for 3 days lol.

Do I just go to a dealer for the saw or is there a shop that you would recommend ?

Thanks

image.jpg.566fe4d57cc163e7702426448e6f5d2f.jpg

There are a few of us here in Scotland. Im based over by Aberdeen and if you ever get up round here, let me know. Hammish is based close to you just south of Glasgow, im sure he will pop on at some point

Gobby has given some good avice there, also trawl back through the old threads on this forum and you will find tonnes of good advice

best thing is to just keep carving. you learn somethign new from every piece you make, i do still

Hi Dervish is right nothing better than just doing it and dont worry if it turns out crap and ends up on the firewood pile I still chuck stuff on the wood pile I bet we all do from time to time if you can get together with another carver you should its good fun and bounce ideas off each other ,and when you get an idea say I want to carve a bear look at pics of them and doing some drawings should help and above all Have Fun with it

Cheers Mark

A big thanks for your replies guys.

Just about to pawn a kidney to buy a carving saw.

Am I looking at £500 or is there better deals for a small carving saw out there?

Almost finished Eddie , fun with a blow torch today . Just need to do the body and he's done

You carving blokes amaze me, thats great:thumbup1: