Van Mud/Winter Tires, Worth it?

leotandoh12

I have no issue with whatever tyres people run or why, but I'd rather hear practical experiences of how they perform/handle, than a veiled pop at people who decide to choose the Bf option.

The Bf's have nothing to prove to anyone in my experience, and if others match or exceed them they are also very good tyres.

Who give a toss if there's writing on the side or not when you're trying to drag your Ifor across a wet field?

I was given the option of lettering in or out on my Bf Mud terrains.

Eddie.

Eddie I dont give a toss about the white lettering either . Some one asked about it . I have 3 sets of Coopers now . Not sure on mileage but they seem to last me about 2 and a half years . I know that is up in the air a bit but I change my oil and filter every 6k and that happens sorta mid summer and mid winter so roughly 12k a year so 2.5 year 28 K ? . Call it 30K as its a bit cyclic on the twice a year .

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie I dont give a toss about the white lettering either . Some one asked about it . I have 3 sets of Coopers now . Not sure on mileage but they seem to last me about 2 and a half years . I know that is up in the air a bit but I change my oil and filter every 6k and that happens sorta mid summer and mid winter so roughly 12k a year so 2.5 year 28 K ? . Call it 30K as its a bit cyclic on the twice a year .

I've just taken my standard Continental Cross Contact AT off the Defender at 64K and still legal, plus never rotated with the spare which was unused.

I've put Bf Muds on and they have transformed it off road obviously, with hardly anything noticeable on it. I may just back off a bit more on the odd wet corner as yet, but they've certainly given me no scares, plus I've just sat down from a 270 mile journey back from Cornwall, and they seem perfect at Defender motorway speeds.

I'd say for me, if I were to get another Defender on standard Continental AT's, I'd just get another set of rims and put Bf Muds on come October and drop them off in spring.

I'd think between the two sets it would be covering pretty much all seasons and should work out pretty cost effective over the lifetime?

Copper ST Maxx or STT were my second choice, but the local place come up close to mail order price on the Bf's so I went that way.

Eddie.

I've just taken my standard Continental Cross Contact AT off the Defender at 64K and still legal, plus never rotated with the spare which was unused.

I've put Bf Muds on and they have transformed it off road obviously, with hardly anything noticeable on it. I may just back off a bit more on the odd wet corner as yet, but they've certainly given me no scares, plus I've just sat down from a 270 mile journey back from Cornwall, and they seem perfect at Defender motorway speeds.

I'd say for me, if I were to get another Defender on standard Continental AT's, I'd just get another set of rims and put Bf Muds on come October and drop them off in spring.

I'd think between the two sets it would be covering pretty much all seasons and should work out pretty cost effective over the lifetime?

Copper ST Maxx or STT were my second choice, but the local place come up close to mail order price on the Bf's so I went that way.

Eddie.

HI EDDIE can just SAY mate if go over any METAL with a £25 tyre or a BFG AT £150 plus it going the same way as the cheap tyre you no were that is in the skip with side wall damage :lol:they are good tyres yes the BFG but all the time you think others see them to on your truck and one day you may see you truck on 4 blocks owell £750 down the pan :lol:thanks jon

Eddie.

Ok Eddie . Sounds good and I am not knocking BFG at all they are tried and tested and the dogs dangelies . The new Cooper STT have just been fitted to a LWB Landy that belongs to Scottish and Southern Electricity . The guy live next to me and had the BFG on it before . He tells me they are just as good . Not better but just as good . For my truck the Cooper STT was about £ 125 a corner so £500 a set approx .

Ok Eddie . Sounds good and I am not knocking BFG at all they are tried and tested and the dogs dangelies . The new Cooper STT have just been fitted to a LWB Landy that belongs to Scottish and Southern Electricity . The guy live next to me and had the BFG on it before . He tells me they are just as good . Not better but just as good . For my truck the Cooper STT was about £ 125 a corner so £500 a set approx .

Just out of interest for those talking about Remoulds, I never ran my 300TDi 90 on anything else?

The tyres I used were Kingpin Tracker 2 in a really handy 245/70x16 size that suited the 90 well.

This vehicle was my daily drive, including a lot of commuting 120 miles each way Oxfordshire for quite a long spell.

I actually ended up putting 3 sets on in total with approx 35k miles from each set, without any issues whatsoever.

Really surprisingly good off road, and great in the snow too.

If I were running a SWB Series Landrover these would be perfect?

245/70R16 107P Kingpin Technic Tracker Tyres order online from Tyres Direct

Eddie.

At one time I tried " big Macho " re treads . Well chunky aggressive tread cheap as chips and great in the mud with side claws . Not that good on the roads and were a bit noisy and probably knocked a bit of the MPG but they did look the billiebollox !

At one time I tried " big Macho " re treads . Well chunky aggressive tread cheap as chips and great in the mud with side claws . Not that good on the roads and were a bit noisy and probably knocked a bit of the MPG but they did look the billiebollox !

I've got a 300TDi 130 that we keep talking about making into a site runabout by putting some of the 31x15.5x15 floatation tyres on, but they're pretty small in diameter.

My eyes nearly popped out when I saw this at Whithams! A bit of searching about and they're available used, plus making up some wider 16" rims not impossible?

Would need a bit of arch trimming!:thumbup:

1 x Michelin XML 325/85 R16 Tyre, Complete with 8 Stud Aluminium Rim, #70189 - MOD Sales, Military Vehicles & Used Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale

Eddie.

I've got a 300TDi 130 that we keep talking about making into a site runabout by putting some of the 31x15.5x15 floatation tyres on, but they're pretty small in diameter.

My eyes nearly popped out when I saw this at Whithams! A bit of searching about and they're available used, plus making up some wider 16" rims not impossible?

Would need a bit of arch trimming!:thumbup:

1 x Michelin XML 325/85 R16 Tyre, Complete with 8 Stud Aluminium Rim, #70189 - MOD Sales, Military Vehicles & Used Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale

Eddie.

HI EDDIE them 325 will rub mate on my 110 :thumbup1:thanks zxl are the ones mate thanks jon

Bfg AT on the L200 have been on there for over 6 years and still plenty of life in them.

moretrucks006_zps31e44462.jpg

Bfg 33x 12.5x15 muds on the picker, been on there 10 years (no they dont rub)

moretrucks007_zpsb981f178.jpg

Bfg 31x10.5x15 on the 90 for over five years. I would say they are good value for money. That said I have all sorts on the other trucks without any issues.

Bob