Giving away Logs on Gumtree

Danny Boy

I know there's a few of us who do this to save taking wood away from a job when it suits us.

I've started saying it costs a bottle of Wine now. Or whatever drink you like.

No ones got a problem with it & everyone still gets a hell of a deal!

5 bottles of Red so far. Long may it continue :thumbup:

I have always paid something for my logs. If someone drops of a tonne or three least you can do is bung them £30 for a couple of kfc. Your average wood fairy seems to be a civil servant in a 40k car and a good pension why give them any more hand outs. you could be damaging someones living to help out a banker :biggrin: most blokes who do logs I am sure would collect a few cheap ifor Tipper loads to help out every ones a winner.

I got five trailer loads of (mostly) hardwood from a golf course that the young fella was working at last year. It was free of charge, they were having a tidy up around the machinery shed and needed it gone within a couple of days despite some of it having lay there for 3 or 4 years, so I gave him the money to buy the greens staff an ulster fry for breakfast for a few mornings.

They were delighted as the wood was nothing to them anyway, and I got five 10 by 5 trailer loads of wood for 30 quid.

One of those rare occasions when everybody's happy!

Your average wood fairy seems to be a civil servant in a 40k car and a good pension why give them any more hand outs. you could be damaging someones living to help out a banker :biggrin:.

Or a retired foundry/factory worker with an old Berlingo and 4x3 trailer :thumbup: I'd be glad to supply a bottle of wine for a trailer of usable wood, my favoured tipple is red under £5 a bottle from Lidl as long as that is good enough. Danny is a bit far away from us though :thumbdown:

I only have a small open fire in the living room & collect what I can each year, from wherever I can as I`m always asking around. I was lucky at the start of this year as I was offered some windfall pine & birch, gave the guy a nice bottle of malt although he didn`t want anything. So cut all that & stacked it (south facing) I have since split it & have more than enough for the winter, so I have given some to a neighbour & will drop some off at a friends next week, I like to share it around ... it`s nice to be nice! :001_smile:

Edited by Logdaft
*Missed a bit*

I know there's a few of us who do this to save taking wood away from a job when it suits us.

I've started saying it costs a bottle of Wine now. Or whatever drink you like.

No ones got a problem with it & everyone still gets a hell of a deal!

5 bottles of Red so far. Long may it continue :thumbup:

Have I got this right? You advertise free wood on gumtree and random "gumtreeers" turn up to your clients address where you have left the wood?

We put slabs on freecycle sometimes. Same thing really. Some folk are happier to have a stranger with a trailer turn up than have to pay for another skip. Of course it's discussed with them first when pricing, but when incorporated with the money talk it's a clear winner for a lot of people.

I didn't know you gave it away on Freecycle and Gumtree I have been waiting on the Firewood forum for some.

I'd love to have some hardwood cos the soft stuff tars up my chimney.

I am not in the industry just looking for stuff to season for my Rayburn to keep the bills down.

Let me know if Tring is close enough. I would like your Hardwood timber please. Especially if you can just dump it on our drive.

There is a VW transporter van I can borrow for the day and collect a load or two.

Thanks in advance

I didn't know you gave it away on Freecycle and Gumtree I have been waiting on the Firewood forum for some.

I'd love to have some hardwood cos the soft stuff tars up my chimney.

I am not in the industry just looking for stuff to season for my Rayburn to keep the bills down.

Let me know if Tring is close enough. I would like your Hardwood timber please. Especially if you can just dump it on our drive.

There is a VW transporter van I can borrow for the day and collect a load or two.

Thanks in advance

You must not be seasoning it correctly, dry soft wood will NOT tar up your chimney.

Hardwood will also tar up your flue if not correctly seasoned.

Put your location in your profile - you never know your luck.

I'll never drop anything off for free but if someone's willing to carry it off site from where it lands and take it away it saves me the job of moving it. Once it's on my van it goes in my wood shed if it's worth having.

I also agree with skyhuck - well seasoned softwood is just fine to burn. A bit quicker but still hot. Get yourself a little moisture meter to stab the logs with. They're cheap enough and help you to get the best from your wood.