Brand New Security Website

Steve Bullman

I can't see many policemen knowing the difference between a chipper, woodchipper, wood chipper, wood-chipper, shredder etc if searching a database, and identifying a model number on a machine that has had its identity removed would be almost impossible. Just a thought really.

I expect you're right there but the problem then is not one a database of stolen kit can solve: it's a problem for the manufacturers to address by making the serial numbers so darned big and stamped/engraved into the machines multiple times that changing the ID becomes almost impossible.

How hard can that be?!

Where the databases can help is by people recording details beyond make, model, serial number; prominent scratches, dents, deformities - anything out of the ordinary really.

I filled in a form re a stolen car some years ago: crikey, they wanted every scratch, dent, cigarette burns on the seats, tears in the seat material and so on; there was pages of it. But there was a database that recorded enough to point an investigator in the right direction if there arose the need to narrow down a selection of possible stolen cars to the one the Police had recovered.

To have such a detailed search facility on Arbsafe is but a dream I'm sure but if someone was looking through 10 stolen TW 150s and one of them had sufficient detail to describe a recovered but anonymous machine in front of them - bingo; you have an ident.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose being able to search by manufacturer wouldn't mean people HAD to use that option. I guess I can make that possible.

Nepia.....Dreams can come true :) At the end of the day, Arbsafe will be developed into whatever it needs to be to help make the difference. Its been a lot of work getting it this far but the real works only just begun

Cool - dream on!

A practical way to go about the search facility may be to keep the search parameters straightforward (make, model, perhaps colour) and then display a load of info (marks, modifications and other identifiers) in the results fields.

Until a couple of years ago I used a system that had its roots in British Airways 1970s ticket booking software; much amended of course but the above was one of its features; simple searching, lots of info in Results.

Hello Steve,

Just a note to say thanks you, this is really good.

in response to the question about removed serial numbers, how about a field entitled 'other mean of identification' ? so users could enter postcode or smart water etc ??

Anyway, thanks again & donation to follow

N

Hello Steve,

Just a note to say thanks you, this is really good.

in response to the question about removed serial numbers, how about a field entitled 'other mean of identification' ? so users could enter postcode or smart water etc ??

Anyway, thanks again & donation to follow

N

Thanks for the feedback.

Well there is a field for description so any unique marks etc can go in there really. I wanted to keep everything as quick and easy to fill in as possible.