Cats v Wildlife

Lucan

Finally there is a good quote for u

"The wildlife of today is not ours to do as we please.

We have it in trust. We must account for it to those who come after"

King George VI

By the way that quote is published every week inside the cover of the Shooting Times

How do u think many cat owners will fare when it comes to accounting for wildlife to there future generations???

Now i shoot and kill stuff for the table and to help wild bird conservation (vermin), so i take my share of birds, but i also put nest boxes out tonnes of feed as well as trying to re-intro grey partridges to my shoot.

I sleep easy at nite knowing i have put back more than i take, plus on a few commitees for local wildlife trusts and do a lot of chainsaw/climbing work FOC for them

I spend 500/1000 hours a year as a part time unpaid beatkeeper and put far more back that I take out. I have done that for the last 40+ years, will put in half a day today, did another half day Sunday. I also co captain and stand in a gun line who consist of normal salt of the earth working blokes that you would find in any high street. To label shooting folk as fat and pompous as some one did earlier does not fit gun lines I have experienced in almost 50 years now. There will though always be an odd prat who is just that.

Edited by Alycidon

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Cat owners think it's fine to let their cat out to **** wherever it pleases, and never pick up the poo. If I did that with my dog, I'd be considered very antisocial.

Far too many cats, not enough song birds.

Agree very much with this. Not to mention the fine dog owners are threatened with from not picking up. It's difficult to have any fondness for cats when you've found a freshly planted flower bed turfed up and £30+ of plants wrecked. Or worse still, getting cat **** all over your hands when you're doing a bit of planting.

This is a particularly valid point in our house as we are always having to clear cat mess off the gravel drive, flower beds, veg beds and even lawn. The worry for me is if my son gets it on him and gets ill from it and is almost guaranteed to need to go to hospital in Newcastle as it will trigger an underlying condition he has. It narks me as when I've said something to the neighbours all I get is, not my problem, can't stop cats being cats..... No but you can stop having so many and lock the darn things up!

Like said if it was a dog I'd be clearing it up and depositing it strate on to the owners front doorstep.

Surrounded by cats at our place, at least 8 doing "what comes naturally" (my arse, shouldn't be there in the first place). Very, very close to getting a dog, mainly to get rid of the cats. Any suggestions as to what kind of dogs are good with kids but like eating cats? (Already prepared my "but it's just doing what comes naturally defence"). God I hate cats (domestic, roaming all over the damn place cats).