Ford Ranger or Isuzu D-Max for heavy work?

Big J

D-Max or Ranger - for proper work, which would you have?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. D-Max or Ranger - for proper work, which would you have?

• D-Max
    • Ranger

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is madness, but if your towing as part of your profession I can't see why it shouldn't be a problem to do your trailer test. I did mine in 3 days and it cost £650 not to mention 3 days lost work. but I can happily cruise down the motorway now with a full trailer without looking over my shoulders worrying about plod/vosa.

So what license did you do? and whats your train weight...

one f my lads who is 30 just passed trailer license but is still only allowed 3.5 combined weight.. So pointless when pick up and greenmech are around 5.9t

Are you sure he can only have 3.5t combined? That's silly! I thought it allowed you to tow up to 3.5t trailer?

Also a point brought up further back in the topic confused me a little - do some of these 3.5t capable pickups have to be empty to tow the full weight? Only asking because my Unimog manual says to load up the rear bed to maximum capacity when towing a heavy trailer. It gives the tow vehicle more traction and stability. Last time I bar towed someone in a broken down van with my mk1 Ranger crew cab it pushed the arse end round if I braked hard. Would have been miles better with a load of ballast on.

Empty of laden, makes no difference.

It is the PLATED veh weight which counts.

So might as well ballast the tow truck(with sommat useful preferably)

And, yes I understood the "B" +"E" allowed for a 3500kg van/truck/pick-up towing a 3500kg trailer.

Ud be a nonsense otherwise.

cheers

marcus

So what license did you do? and whats your train weight...

one f my lads who is 30 just passed trailer license but is still only allowed 3.5 combined weight.. So pointless when pick up and greenmech are around 5.9t

I do B+E trailer test, it allows me to tow up to 3.5 ton (depending on vehicles plate). I drive a landrover defender which legally has a train weight of 6550kg I'm allowed 3.5ton trailer behind it and the gross weight of the landrover is 3050kg.

Not sure there is any other trailer license? If your lad passed his B+E then he can tow whatever the vehicle is plated to (maximum 7000kg train weight)

Are you sure he can only have 3.5t combined? That's silly! I thought it allowed you to tow up to 3.5t trailer?

Also a point brought up further back in the topic confused me a little - do some of these 3.5t capable pickups have to be empty to tow the full weight? Only asking because my Unimog manual says to load up the rear bed to maximum capacity when towing a heavy trailer. It gives the tow vehicle more traction and stability. Last time I bar towed someone in a broken down van with my mk1 Ranger crew cab it pushed the arse end round if I braked hard. Would have been miles better with a load of ballast on.

Yes, this is a serious flaw in these Japanese type trucks which are allowed to tow 3.5kg, their gross weight dictates that if they are towing the full 3.5kg there is not enough capacity to have weight in the pickup bed too.

The defender is one of the few that can tow 3.5ton whilst still being loaded up to gross weight in the pickup bed.

I really think towing 3.5ton in an unloaded pickup is downright dangerous. They have very little weight on the back end and you'd better make sure your trailer brakes are spot on else it'll boss your back end around no bother. Its all very well on the flat, but if had some scary moments in the past being pulled backwards when towing my 2.8t digger. The I for brakes don't work if your going up a steep hill and have to come to a stop, it'll just pull the vehicle backwards if not enough weight in it.

And another thing- permanent 4wd would be my choice if I'm hauling heavy trailers around, makes for much safer engine braking. I only have experiance of 3 Japanese trucks, namely the l200, Nissan navara and ford ranger (not the new one and yes I know they're not Japanese) and they all were very poor at towing/handling heavy trailer compared to a 110, their clutches would stink with any manouvering and trailer loading had to be spot on to reduce 'snaking'. Not trying to run them down or start a landy/jap debate, they're are very good at what they are designed for, but I woudn't say towing 3.5t trailers is one of them.

And another thing- permanent 4wd would be my choice if I'm hauling heavy trailers around, makes for much safer engine braking. I only have experiance of 3 Japanese trucks, namely the l200, Nissan navara and ford ranger (not the new one and yes I know they're not Japanese) and they all were very poor at towing/handling heavy trailer compared to a 110, their clutches would stink with any manouvering and trailer loading had to be spot on to reduce 'snaking'. Not trying to run them down or start a landy/jap debate, they're are very good at what they are designed for, but I woudn't say towing 3.5t trailers is one of them.

just pop it in low box wen reversing ,no smelliy clutch ,simples