Been stopped for speeding?

cornish wood burner

My Mr Muppet was catching me fast in the inside lane. I was probably doing a little over 70 in the inside lane and as there was a slow car ahead I pulled into the middle lane to overtake. Mr m carried on up my inside then realised a slow car was blocking his path. Meanwhile the traffic in the middle lane slowed so the safe gap I had left closed up. Mr m then had a choice of either attempting to slow to 50, hit the slow car or wedge himself in the decreasing gap in the middle lane. He was lucky that my brakes and the cars brakes behind me were top notch.

Would you say inconsiderate ?

I'd say you're fortunate to be one of the few who can read what others are likely to do and be prepared for their inadequacies and ineptitude.

Inconsiderate is a label that you may apply. I have been known, on occasion, to utter more Germanic labels. Even whilst speeding and undertaking.

I was pulled over when I'd just passed my test. 88 in a transit minibus coming back down the M3 from Heathrow. The copper was very reasonable and let me off with a warning. The lesson has stayed with me all this time.

'Don't overtake a police car doing 90' and 'just because the mirrors are shaking so badly your rear view is blurred and you can't see clearly behind you, doesn't mean they're not following you.'

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mates a magistrate

He gets guys in front of him pulled for doing 75 on motorway

Why would they even end up in front of a magistrate?? surely it would be a fixed penalty.

Do you have a link to a case of someone being prosecuted for 75 on the Mway??

Undertaking - is it illegal?

I recently read an article which referenced how seemingly The Highway Code does not hold under-taking to be illegal.

In towns and cities overtaking on the left is allowed, as per Section 163 of The Highway Code. It's perfectly acceptable if the car in front is turning right, or pulling into a right-hand filter lane, so long as you exercise the same caution as you would if over-taking on the right.

Regarding motorway travel, Section 268 acknowledges that the outside lanes on a motorway may be travelling slower than those on the inside, and so undertaking vehicles in those slower-moving lanes is to be expected, particularly during congested times.

As the Highway Code specifically uses the words ‘MUST’ and ‘MUST NOT’ to indicate legal requirements and nowhere in The Highway Code does it say a driver 'must not' overtake using an inside lane. In fact, Section 268 states, “Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.” The use of 'do not' instead of 'must not' means it is technically legal to overtake in any lane except the hard shoulder.

Road users should avoid overtaking using the inside lane in any circumstance. The odd under-take here and there won’t attract too much negative attention from police, particularly if a situation obviously calls for it, but beyond that it could cause you problems.

You can be charged with ‘dangerous driving’, or ‘driving without due care and attention’, both of which can result in fines and up to eleven points on your licence, depending on the extent of the damage caused by your driving.

Section 264 says “You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are over-taking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.”

In conclusion, it seems that it is perfectly legal to over-take in the 'wrong' lane, but not always advisable.

Considering the recent proposals to provide police with further powers to issue fixed penalty notices and points on licence for such issues as lane hogging etc I would not advocate any under-taking manoeuvre unless absolutely necessary.

Subscribe | Comment on this story

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Undertaking - is it illegal?

I recently read an article which referenced how seemingly The Highway Code does not hold under-taking to be illegal.

In towns and cities overtaking on the left is allowed, as per Section 163 of The Highway Code. It's perfectly acceptable if the car in front is turning right, or pulling into a right-hand filter lane, so long as you exercise the same caution as you would if over-taking on the right.

Regarding motorway travel, Section 268 acknowledges that the outside lanes on a motorway may be travelling slower than those on the inside, and so undertaking vehicles in those slower-moving lanes is to be expected, particularly during congested times.

As the Highway Code specifically uses the words ‘MUST’ and ‘MUST NOT’ to indicate legal requirements and nowhere in The Highway Code does it say a driver 'must not' overtake using an inside lane. In fact, Section 268 states, “Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.” The use of 'do not' instead of 'must not' means it is technically legal to overtake in any lane except the hard shoulder.

Road users should avoid overtaking using the inside lane in any circumstance. The odd under-take here and there won’t attract too much negative attention from police, particularly if a situation obviously calls for it, but beyond that it could cause you problems.

You can be charged with ‘dangerous driving’, or ‘driving without due care and attention’, both of which can result in fines and up to eleven points on your licence, depending on the extent of the damage caused by your driving.

Section 264 says “You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are over-taking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.”

In conclusion, it seems that it is perfectly legal to over-take in the 'wrong' lane, but not always advisable.

Considering the recent proposals to provide police with further powers to issue fixed penalty notices and points on licence for such issues as lane hogging etc I would not advocate any under-taking manoeuvre unless absolutely necessary.

Subscribe | Comment on this story

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Where is all that codswallop from???? the Beano???:001_rolleyes:

How is "must not" any less than "do not"???:001_huh::lol:

Why would they even end up in front of a magistrate?? surely it would be a fixed penalty.

Do you have a link to a case of someone being prosecuted for 75 on the Mway??

I very much doubt there will be a link of someone being prosecuted for doing 75 on a Mway.

79 MPH is the minimum you would have to be doing to get a ticket. 96 MPH before you would go to court.

Speeding fines: your rights - Advice on speeding tickets - Driving advice - Driving your car - Which? Car

Where is all that codswallop from???? the Beano???:001_rolleyes:

How is "must not" any less than "do not"???:001_huh::lol:

Personally I see no difference between the two. What ever the legal situation I have seen too many near misses to undertake except in very slow moving congestion.

My policy is have a little patience and wait for a gap to overtake on the right. I have seen many cars inconsiderately hogging the middle lane and holding up traffic suddenly decide to pull to the left when they are being or about to be undertaken. Undertaking is a dangerous game that other drivers do not expect, do not like and sometimes react stupidly to.

Why buy PPE, work sensibly and carefully then kill yourself and others for a sake of a few seconds of travel time.