Did you hear about the Man who picked up an Adder?

bazbro

Why didn't he put it down after the first time it bit him? I would!

Found some when I was a kid, put them in a sand castle bucket and took them to show Mum. Turned out she doesn't much like snakes. :D

There might just be something in that old saying "once bitten, twice shy" maybe he didn't know that one??? Muppet!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, certainly not clever picking it up but I reckon it probably got 3 bites in before he had a chance to put it down. I use to keep snakes and they sure move fast when they want to!

Same. Had a rat snake. Aggro old bugger. Picked it up to give it a bath one time and it headed down my shirt. I wasn't keen to try and get it out because it had an attitude but when it wormed its way down my pants (trousers) I had to call a stop so I pulled it out nice and gentle. Got it all the way out and then stupidly made a sudden movement. It nailed me three or four times before I knew what was happening. Snakes are set seriously quick if they're threatened.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Just reminded me of a letter from raw South Africa dated April 4th 1846 from Swellendam. It was written to my Gt Gt Grandma from her brother William Atmore who went out there as a land surveyor. He was a bit full of himself but I think that you had to be like that to survive out there in those days.

"What does that old humbug Pooley say about my success in this country? I daresay if the truth be known it gives him the gripes and I hope the colic Jack is a better man than his master now and he a clodhopper. I know you will laugh to hear me vent my spite on the old reptile. I should like to see him here with a fair deal and no favour and then see who is the best man!

I recall how afraid the old fellow is of a snake, I should laugh to see him blinder over a Yellow Snake ten feet long, one of the devils that will stand up and bid you do battle and if you run away they will run after you by Jove and he would have to wash his breeches.

Some days I kill five or six of these vermin in a day but when I first came I would soon had seen the Devil-- a Yellow Snake laid in the path the other day and started up before me and I kicked it to death....."

And we only have a few Adders to worry about!

He was building the Buffelsjag Bridge at Swellendam on the subject of timber. Presumably hand sawn but still standing 160 years later until 2007 when sections were washed away by massive floods. Now a national monument.

The old 'Sugar Bridge' at Buffeljags, Western Cape – Blog – South African Tourism

I thought you needed a license to handle adders as they are a protected species?

there have been a lot around this year, seen 3 dead ones on forest tracks, they must snooze on the hot stones? Neighbouring farmer wont walk her dogs once warmth in sun as she says there are so many coming out to bask in heat, a terrier got bitten recently and died near us, its owner had not realised it had been bitten until too late.:(

The guy could of been trying to get it away from his kids. He may have learning difficulties ! Let's not judge and wish him the best recovery.

:thumbup1:

Probably does have learning problems seeing as it bit him 3 times :confused:

dependant on size and time of year, anything of around 2ft in length deserves a wide berth, especially in the hot weather when there most active, seem to be more common in the heathland and forest type areas of the country, I used to catch them when I was a teen working on the farm, a little respect for them goes a long way, and according to new research, the "harmless" slow worm, or grass snake, is actually venomous as well

The Slow worm is a lizard, the Grass snake a snake.

I thought you needed a license to handle adders as they are a protected species?

there have been a lot around this year, seen 3 dead ones on forest tracks, they must snooze on the hot stones? Neighbouring farmer wont walk her dogs once warmth in sun as she says there are so many coming out to bask in heat, a terrier got bitten recently and died near us, its owner had not realised it had been bitten until too late.:(

Annoyingly Steph no! Their protected as far as it's an offence to intentionally kill or injure one of them but the weird uk law doesn't make it an offence to handle or even collect specimens to keep as a pets!

As long as the snake is housed outside it's perfectly legal but as soon as it's residence is inside you need a dwa licence for it???? Work that one out!

http://www.forestflooronline.co.uk/