Driver CPC

Alycidon

A new one fell out of the woodwork this morning.

Seems that from Sept 14 all people driving medium good vechicles needing C1 or C1+E for hire and reward may now need an additional driver CPC. This means big vans or 4x4s pulling trailers.

Firewood delivery is hire and reward as you are getting paid for it.

I have e mailed VOSA asking for clarification but it looks to me that anyone needing the above groups to drive will next month need a driver CPC on top. This entails 35 hours of training !!.

Anyone done any work on this and care to comment, I run a LR Defender with a couple of IFW trailers rated at 2700kg.

Thanks

A

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems that from Sept 14 all people driving medium good vechicles needing C1 or C1+E for hire and reward may now need an additional driver CPC. This means big vans or 4x4s pulling trailers.

I have e mailed VOSA asking for clarification but it looks to me that anyone needing the above groups to drive will next month need a driver CPC on top. This entails 35 hours of training !!.

Anyone done any work on this and care to comment, I run a LR Defender with a couple of IFW trailers rated at 2700kg.

Thanks

A

As far as I know this does not apply to vans and 4x4s, only vehicles with a GVW of more than 3500kg.

As far as I know this does not apply to vans and 4x4s, only vehicles with a GVW of more than 3500kg.

My defender with a fully loaded GD85 trailer will come in at about 5.5 tonnes.

Will advise further once I find out what Vosa say.

A

My defender with a fully loaded GD85 trailer will come in at about 5.5 tonnes.

A

Surely that's Train Weight (tractor unit + trailer). GVW applies to the individual parts no...?

I'm watching with mild interest (there seem to be so many threads on similar topics) as I run a Navara and 3T Brian James trailer.

Thanks

A

No it didn't, this has been in the works for ages and widely discussed on here just do a search

No it didn't, this has been in the works for ages and widely discussed on here just do a search

Must have missed the CPC aspect, see regular posts on the need or not for tachos that i usually contribute to. As things currently stand I need a tacho but not CPC.

Before posting this thread I did a search for CPC and nothing came up.

A

Edited by Alycidon

CPC only applies to drivers whose main job is driving.

If a driver drives to site and works, then drives back he does not need CPC

As I understand it that will continue to be valid.

Much of the info out there re cpc is written by training companies selling cpc training.

Lots of people are being conned by this.

Thats highly likely, I have been towing trailers behind 4x4s for the last 40 years on the road, never had an issue. Been driving farm tractors pulling large grain trailers for longer.

Quite how it takes 35 hours to explain how to do the job and its all classroom stuff is beyond me.

A

The CPC courses cover numerous aspects including tachographs & operation, first aid, daily checks, compliance, safety, penalties, driver essentials etc. Driving is not the main part of my job but good luck to anyone pulled after Sept 10th by VOSA or DVSA as it is now as it's there decision that counts, I would be surprised if anyone won an argument with this authority.

If they decide you need CPC your license will be revoked until you have one, the training has now been on the cards for 10 years but most thought it would go away so ignored it, my tutor is now booked solid beyond the cut off date.