Tips for Hedge trimming

samthornton1990

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong again I'm afraid the best way to regenerate an old yew hedge is to take it right back to the stems, no stubs or growth points, hit it hard..

Not the one my neighbours tackled - must have been something else wrong with it as it killed 1/2 our hedge - I assumed they hit it too hard.

The biggest fault I see in probably 90% of the hedgecutting I look at, is people not cutting back hard enough. This just isn't good enough when you are a professional being paid to do a professional job. Make sure you cut right back to previous cuts each time, or you'll never establish a compact hedge for the customer

Couldn't agree more. The vast majority of hedges out there are much much wider than they need to be, the customer is just losing space in their garden because they let them grow wider and wider every year.

Couldn't agree more. The vast majority of hedges out there are much much wider than they need to be, the customer is just losing space in their garden because they let them grow wider and wider every year.

Agreed . Its when you see " Flaxman Avenue " or whatever neatly set back into the hedge by about 8 inches or so .....

We do a LOT of hedge trimming and hedge reductions and the most useful advise i can offer is that if your right handed start the top of the hedge from the right as your body is designed to work this way around! If your left handed start the top from the left side! Sounds like common sense I know but the amount of people I've seen struggling doing it back to front over the years is unbelievable :001_smile:

We do a LOT of hedge trimming and hedge reductions and the most useful advise i can offer is that if your right handed start the top of the hedge from the right as your body is designed to work this way around! If your left handed start the top from the left side! Sounds like common sense I know but the amount of people I've seen struggling doing it back to front over the years is unbelievable :001_smile:

Unless you're using one sided hedge cutters which in my experience are always right handed so you need to start the sides on the left and the top on the right..

U

Unless you're using one sided hedge cutters which in my experience are always right handed so you need to start the sides on the left and the top on the right..

U

Very true... but we don't :001_tongue:

Please take in jest, as I said we do a lot of reductions and the double sided are so much better for cutting the tops down hard whilst struggling through repeatedly topped leylands. We do keep 3 or 4 sharp for the sides and trimming yew,thuja,lonicera etc

Financially it's important to differentiate between trimming the top and lowering it.

Amazing how often clients will mention in an offhand manner "oh can you take a foot off while your trimming it" not realising that means a thousand cuts with a saw rather than a few sweeps with the hedge cutter.