Renewing certificates.

Gary Prentice

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For clarification, it is RECOMMENDED you refresh every 5 years as a professional. There is no current legal requirement in any sector of the industry, just restrictions set by groups such as FISA or the Arb Association.

Mog, give it a rest, you're like a broken record! If you object so much to refreshing, don't do the job as this is the only industry where our machinery operating qualifications don't expire. Do you object this much when you have to retake your first aid?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Errm, did Mog say anything:confused1:

For clarification, it is RECOMMENDED you refresh every 5 years as a professional. There is no current legal requirement in any sector of the industry, just restrictions set by groups such as FISA or the Arb Association.

Mog, give it a rest, you're like a broken record! If you object so much to refreshing, don't do the job as this is the only industry where our machinery operating qualifications don't expire. Do you object this much when you have to retake your first aid?

I would like to say.

Well said that man

Hy he is called angrymog mate. Lol.

Hodge

eddy-t, a question for you, do you feel the need to renew your educational qualifications, or your driving licence, or any other certificates you have sat an exam and paid for, so why should cs be any different, or is it the fact you keep forgetting how to operate the eqiupment. I find it funny that all the sheeple on here jump to comply with the "ticket collector" attitude that seems to be coming into the industry, in fact Iknow of "training" companies that have stated " if you can come up with something we can charge for creating a ticket for, we'll pay you", I'm afraid the whole country, not just this industry, is falling under the spell of "your all stupid and you need us to tell you what to do" brigade, as I've said before I mourn the death of common sense, and as for your quip about first aid courses, I struggle to understand how a 1 day course on how to use the "green box" thats on the wall that everybody is expected to do has any relevance to the industry......Oh I've sliced myself with a chainsaw......best i stick a plaster on it.. doesnt work Im afraid, I actually had to go outside the UK to find a sitible trauma treatment course that actually contained some teaching that was relevant, till the whole ticket debacle is taken on board, and run by some body who will actually regulate it properly, and not just leave it up to "profit driven trainers" to police I will keep shouting on about it, there is too many "trainers" out there who, I'm sorry to say, dont have a feckin clue..........rant over, take out of it what you like, as I dont really care what you think

I'm with you Mog, training now is revenue raising/box ticking exercise and has become an industry in its own right.

Quote below is from ex trainer (forestry cotractor) who jacked in training:

“I had become disillusioned and could not stand the way the system was being run. Some people insisted that conifers were only ever felled by harvesters, which just is not true. When I first started training, it was geared around the tasks the lads were doing.

I learned as much from the contractors I had dealt with as they did from me. Now it’s set to teach safety rather than producing timber using safe techniques. A lot of the lads I ended up training were never going to make proficient woodcutters.”

Its a difficult one isn't it and I think both camps are partly right. Nobody wants to see daft kids being let loose with a chainsaw and hurting themselves or others. On the other hand experienced guys up trees and cutting everyday shouldn't have to fork out for refreshers and how many times has it been said that a newly qualified guy is all but useless until he has a few years experience. So its far from perfect but as an inherently dangerous job where a small mistake can cause serious harm then there needs to be some sort of minimum standard to practice professionally. People who think the present system is wrong need to put forward ideas to create something more affordable and credible

eddy-t, a question for you, do you feel the need to renew your educational qualifications, or your driving licence, or any other certificates you have sat an exam and paid for, so why should cs be any different, or is it the fact you keep forgetting how to operate the eqiupment. I find it funny that all the sheeple on here jump to comply with the "ticket collector" attitude that seems to be coming into the industry, in fact Iknow of "training" companies that have stated " if you can come up with something we can charge for creating a ticket for, we'll pay you", I'm afraid the whole country, not just this industry, is falling under the spell of "your all stupid and you need us to tell you what to do" brigade, as I've said before I mourn the death of common sense, and as for your quip about first aid courses, I struggle to understand how a 1 day course on how to use the "green box" thats on the wall that everybody is expected to do has any relevance to the industry......Oh I've sliced myself with a chainsaw......best i stick a plaster on it.. doesnt work Im afraid, I actually had to go outside the UK to find a sitible trauma treatment course that actually contained some teaching that was relevant, till the whole ticket debacle is taken on board, and run by some body who will actually regulate it properly, and not just leave it up to "profit driven trainers" to police I will keep shouting on about it, there is too many "trainers" out there who, I'm sorry to say, dont have a feckin clue..........rant over, take out of it what you like, as I dont really care what you think

1. I work utilities, I have to renew EVERY 3 years, in that time between renewals, the work practice HAS changed from G55/1 to G55/2

2. I have an operators ticket for MEWP's, that has to be updated every so often, especially working as a live cutter

3. My first aid course taught me how to apply a tourniquet, it was the basic one day emergency first aid course, so you need a better trainer

4. I have met a fair few who've had their cs tickets a hell of a lot longer than me, I'm shocked they're still alive

5. I think driving refreshers should be made mandatory.

6. I've paid for all but 3 of my tickets, I'll quite happily pay for an update in a few years, I think cs34 will be the next 'update'

7. Your objection with trainers 'that don't have a clue', it's your money! Shop around and find one you think does! I was trained by a bloke called Ian Morgan, you may have heard of him, many people rate him highly, maybe you should visit his stall at the next APF.

You do keep coming back to this and I still don't understand why you are saying the trainers are to blame, the training is mandated by the HSE not trainers. Trainers exists primarily because the HSE says we need training. They said that because they have a duty of care and the accident statistics showed the need.

The "need" for training and updates is further propagated by the ambulance chasers and the government allowed that so that's where your tedious rants and insults belong, I am sure they will be just as interested as we are.

Training and refreshers are HSE mandated across industries, its not just tree work. See what the IRATA or machine operators (for example) have to go through.

Tree you make a good point about the "need" for training and what drives it.

Whatever the reasons our industry and the others you mentioned are labouring under an ever increasing regulatory burden. And while this undoubtably drives up costs its impact on improving safety is debatable - how often does someone here post a "Darwin" video of the unregulated masses butchering trees or themselves?

Looking at the overall big picture the UK economy is still totally buggered:

Spending less is the key to cutting the deficit - Telegraph

And there was another article recently lamenting the fact that manufacturing is still in the doldrums also. Now it's not just training that is the issue here obviously. However, In my opinion one of the factors is the huge cost burden of trying to do anything in this country, there is a whole plethora of quangos and govt bodies enforcing and regulating ... Basically contributing very little but creating massive cost base.

To come back to the thread and why I think people like Mog get annoyed: the younger generation grow up knowing nothing but this bureaucratic circus, the older generation look back wistfully to the days when you could just get on and get things done.

My own opinion is that you need some form of regulation and training but balance has tipped way too far in other direction and the country is the poorer for it. And not just financially poorer