Looking for some friendly advice on pay...

Rock Monkey

to be honest i will be happy on £50 a day when i properly start in the industry - i have been working for less than that doing sh*t labouring/warehouse/agency jobs which i hated every minute of.

being paid anything for doing this great job is a bonus (still in the 'honeymoon' period i guess!!)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone who has replied for their advice and honesty. Its certainly given me the guidance I needed before I negotiate my price with the boss.

Great forum, thanks all

If you have a "the boss" then you surely you shouldn't be going self employed?

my opinion is as long as youre happy with what youre getting, thats the correct wage, deserved or not, we all think we're worth more than we get in this industry for what we do, but in reality its obviously not the case

to many people in the arb game our industry isnt work, its a lifestyle choice

reality check, theres hundreds of lads for firms to choose from in exactly the same position as you, youve heard from some on here already, earning £45 per day-theyre youre competition

get youre self with someone who may pay peanuts, but will give you experience

once up to scratch, thats when Arb work starts to become rewarding financially

if youre good, you MAY take 6months to be competant enough to earn £80 pd AS A CLIMBER (remember youre boss may be paying a groundie a one-er, but the groundie isnt slowing the jobs up farting about in the tree learning), it may take you 4 years to be good enough to earn £80

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

my opinion is as long as youre happy with what youre getting, thats the correct wage, deserved or not, we all think we're worth more than we get in this industry for what we do, but in reality its obviously not the case

to many people in the arb game our industry isnt work, its a lifestyle choice

reality check, theres hundreds of lads for firms to choose from in exactly the same position as you, youve heard from some on here already, earning £45 per day-theyre youre competition

get youre self with someone who may pay peanuts, but will give you experience

once up to scratch, thats when Arb work starts to become rewarding financially

if youre good, you MAY take 6months to be competant enough to earn £80 pd AS A CLIMBER (remember youre boss may be paying a groundie a one-er, but the groundie isnt slowing the jobs up farting about in the tree learning), it may take you 4 years to be good enough to earn £80

Here endeth the lesson:001_cool:

At least your not cutting grass for it Joe

yes maybe and very true grass cutting is not great,but joe working all day with his tickets and suplying them him self, £45 a day is not much,considering he is doing such a dangeros job! and if i can get £45 for half a mornings work then who am i to turn that down! and the state the economy we are in, work is work :sneaky2: and i dont mind grass cutting, thats part of my company, easy money :001_tongue:

yes maybe and very true grass cutting is not great,but joe working all day with his tickets and suplying them him self, £45 a day is not much,considering he is doing such a dangeros job! and if i can get £45 for half a mornings work then who am i to turn that down! and the state the economy we are in, work is work :sneaky2: and i dont mind grass cutting, thats part of my company, easy money :001_tongue:

but arboriculture is a long term career, joes starting at the bottem, and enjoying himself whilst at college, if everyone jumped into the harness straight out of college earning £150, this industry would be even more saturated with climbers.

look at his self funding another way, if i were to have a choice between him and another, non self funded trainee climber, both skills exactly the same, which candiate shows the most dedication?

im guessing joes 17 if hes been working for 2yrs since 15? so im also guessing hes living at home, no bills, maybe no car either, so 45pd, or 225pw when not at college is a fair old wad to him, correct me if im wrong big man!

yes i suppose your right there and i do agree with you, i supose £225 for a 17 year old a week aint bad money really, i just thought that climmers earned more money than that with all tickets, i would just have thought that £60 would be abit better for some one with all relevent tickets. but as we all say its getting the experiance that counts but every1 likes abit of £ at the end of the day for a hard graft :confused1: do they??

Edited by not for sale sorry