Looking for some friendly advice on pay...

Rock Monkey

you would get labourers wages from me, and if you stuck in i would take some time to teach you as well, may seem harsh and incredibly unreasonable so some, but all most newbies do, is blunt saws and slow things down, maybe different if you got an la post but on contracting time is money. it is all down to the individual, show comitment and the right guy will look after you and the same goes for you, dont get mucked about by employers. sit down and get the cards on the table first, and even set reviews every 3 months to discuss how you are getting on and ways to improve your own skills and maybe increase pay

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since that will prob be a good 5 years down the line I doubt it will make a difference atm.

I think it would, the guy said he was becoming self employed and not just subbing etc. Therefore he will build up a client base and in subsequent years when they reuse him and the price is say 60% more you may find that they seek a lower price. It's important to look years down the line and keep your established client base.

Are you an extra guy for an established crew? If so I'd say around £60 a day as you will be getting decent experience.

If you are working for a landscaping type firm who don't have their own climber I would steer clear altogether. Probably want you to work beyond yor experience level with little or no guidance. I have always thought working for the right firm whilst your learning is more important than what money you get. If you are trained well the good money will come in time.

im on around £45 a day, and I've been in arb working for the same firm for over two years, i've got self funded cs30,31,32,38. i climb most days at work and have all my own climbing kit and ppe. i think i get a fair wage, and i think you'd be looking at around £60 a day tops if you don't have a lot of experience :001_smile:

I started out on 75 a day as a self employed labourer, i had some nptc's my own climbing kit, saws and ppe etc. I was hoping to get stuck into climbing but like others have said its not really the reality although some may just throw you out there.

75 as a self employed hard working tree worker i think is fair, its a risk being self employed. I think it made me more attractive/employable as companies could use me and lose me when they wanted, i paid for all my own kit contribution and tax's, I on average raised my pay by £10 per day each year as my experience rose, the last year my experience expotentialy increased so did my daily rate.

Starting out as climber with less then a year in the saddle is not realistic (like others have said you'll just end up losing a company money) go in as an allrounder and jump on every oppertunity you can to climb. Remember though that observation is an important skill in this game you'll learn a lot by watching others more experienced than yourself.

I also moved quickly from company to company trying to find an outfit where i could learn by observing and oppertunity, if your a good worker and honest you'll be kept busy, although the economic climate now is different from when i started.

im on around £45 a day, and I've been in arb working for the same firm for over two years, i've got self funded cs30,31,32,38. i climb most days at work and have all my own climbing kit and ppe. i think i get a fair wage, and i think you'd be looking at around £60 a day tops if you don't have a lot of experience :001_smile:

No offence but that's ridiculous! HTF is someone supposed to live on that????!!!!!! I make no apologies for saying there are some tight mean greedy employers around here :thumbdown:

Hello??? It's 2009! There's something called eveyday items - they cost quite alot now...

Piz Doff :mad1:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

No offence but that's ridiculous! HTF is someone supposed to live on that????!!!!!! I make no apologies for saying there are some tight mean greedy employers around here :thumbdown:

Hello??? It's 2009! There's something called eveyday items - they cost quite alot now...

Piz Doff :mad1:

i pay my lad a fiver an hour, i cant afford to pay him anymore than that if i am teaching him as well. he stays at home, and has less than half a mile to his work. and i pay for his food daily, and i eat in very nice places. he is coming on fine, and works hard and appreciates the work. if we are busy he can rack up 55-60 hrs, so he is learning that it is hard work and long hours that make money. he is now competant in hedge cutting, chipping and maintaining saws. he can grease machines, change blades and now gets to drive the mog and valmet around the yard. not bad for only working with me for 3 months. i train guys to make money not look good in tight trousers. if he wants to chuck it tomorroe he can, we dont owe each other anything. he hasnt cost me a fortune and he hasnt wasted his time working for cheap:001_smile: