Hen Pen

Ashes_Firewood

Going to build a new pen for my mother in laws hens as they've got a fox about at the moment and the old pen was a bodged up mess that I've now started to take down.

Does it need to be 6ft high to stop a fox getting over? Is this sort of wire Mesh Direct :: Wire Mesh & Wire Netting :: Wire Mesh :: Welded Mesh 50mm x 50mm Hole (2 x 2 inch) any good to work with?

The pen's going to be approx. 14m long and 4m wide.

What I was thinking of doing was using 2"x2" wire then lap some chicken wire down and along the ground so it grows in.

Any other suggestions for what wire to use or general tips for making a hen pen appreciated :001_smile:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend heras fencing easily put up a can be removed if required I just built on this weekend, I used 80 and 50 cm rylock on top of each other with rabbit net clipped on with overlap, at this time of year it takes next to no time to grass in.

Your plan will not stop a fox if she's hungry, I reckon nothing short of a full enclosure (top, bottom and sides) will stop a determined fox

My neighbours chicken pen is heras fencing, on concrete bases, a strand of barb wire 4" over the top, a strand of electric fencing 6" higher than that and another electric fence wire at the same height 6" out so it overhangs to the outside. It looks right horrible imo.

Fox still gets in and out, taking no prisoners...

For us a better investment has been an automatic door. It opens on a timer and closes in reaction to light levels. It means the door opens about 7, so though it has been light for a while already the fox has gone to bed and closes when it gets dark.

Hi,

If you cant shoot the fox...

Dig a trench for the wire & fold it outwards so if the fox trys to dig under, it will hit the buried wire.

If you cant do total enclosure have the wire hanging out a bit at the top of the post & a bit loose it makes it harder to climb.

Thankfully dont get very many foxes, only seen two alive all my time here, but we keep them shut in at night.

N

Edited by NFG

It couldn't get through 2"x2" holes could it? Or are you saying it would climb up and over the fence even at 6 ft high?

The problem is that it's been paying a visit in the day time, the hens are normally left to roam round in the field but now there seems to be a fox about they would like the option to shut them in the pen.

If it was up to me I'd get it shot but they are against things like that :001_rolleyes:

Your plan will not stop a fox if she's hungry, I reckon nothing short of a full enclosure (top, bottom and sides) will stop a determined fox

My neighbours chicken pen is heras fencing, on concrete bases, a strand of barb wire 4" over the top, a strand of electric fencing 6" higher than that and another electric fence wire at the same height 6" out so it overhangs to the outside. It looks right horrible imo.

Fox still gets in and out, taking no prisoners...

For us a better investment has been an automatic door. It opens on a timer and closes in reaction to light levels. It means the door opens about 7, so though it has been light for a while already the fox has gone to bed and closes when it gets dark.

Just got a light sensing door opener and been playing with the settings to get it just right. Can you remember what lux levels you've got it set at. Mine doesn't seem to be closing any earlier when I change the light levels (considerably)

A mate of mine got an automated closer which managed to shut all his hens out overnight. The fox got every last one of them!

Mine live in protective custody in Hencatraz because our urban foxes are brazen and will quite happily take birds in broad daylight - as my next door neighbour has demonstrated :(