London Plane pollen !!

Stubby

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tis much worse late spring / early summer AND during periods of hot weather with a breeze.

Mid-late summer is better but even more worse in mid-winter!

Cheers..

Paul

How is it worse mid winter if there is no leaf on ??

We have the same issue, burning eyes, scratches stinging, sneezing and coughing, etc....

Worst when its a nice calm sunny day.

We do alot of work for the city council, and we found out that their cutters don't cut plane trees in the summer. Meh! :thumbdown:

Then a workmate found something on the German health and safety rules and regs and discovered that actually we aren't allowed to cut plane while there are leaves on them :thumbup:

Its been a while since i worked in the UK, might be worth checking out...

where did you find that mate ? thats interesting .

we work on them all year round and i find its the worst when they come into leaf.

now its not so bad but still pretty average.

I refuse to go near them, 2 years ago I did loads of reductions on London planes and it was horrid!

Now I'm not saying this as a fact, but at the same time as doing the reductions I developed a abyss in the back of my throat, that spread poison along the nerve in my jaw that came across as tooth ache at first. I only realised it was more than tooth ache when my airway started closing up and I wasn't able to eat; I ended up being rushed into emergency surgery one morning and woke up the following day in intensive care. The doctors couldn't figure out why it happened, and when I said about working with planes and the spores they said it was quite likely the reason for the abyss. The worst bit was when the hole in the back of my throat was weeping puss for the following week, it almost popped when it discharged every time, not nice!

I won't go near the bastards when in leaf now just in case.

we work on them all year round and i find its the worst when they come into leaf.

We used to work on them all year round too, until about a month ago :001_smile:

I will ask my workmate tomorrow then send you a link

Ok, I had a look, and i think this is what he found. Will ask though if there is more. Can only find it in German though :glare:

https://www.svlfg.de/30-praevention/prv051-fachinformationen/prv0504-gesundheitsschutz/020_biologische-Arbeitsstoffe/020_Loseblatt/C_01_05.pdf

Problems like this should be viewed as a challenge, an opportunity to cash in, an engineering project to overcome a health hazard on the job, IMO.

Now, how could you prune the snot out of a plane tree at the worst time with no I'll affects for the pruner?

Supply the climber with fresh clean filtered breathing air through his support line? Kinda like an old time diver supplied through a hose and compressor.

United States Patent: 5558118

And in the same sense that a climber can be supplied with fresh breathing air via a compound hose assembly, he can also be supplied with either hot or cold air during temperature extremes.

The future's what we make it guys.

Jomoco