Should I say something?

Went to look at a job a month or so ago. A large beech. The tree had been previously reduced (in a really bad way). So customer rings me which I was so pleased about because I've been wanting to work on this tree for years. I explain that 60% of the tree was dead which was obvious and the main cause is ostulina (apologies for spelling) so we spend a good hour discussing the removal or leaving a mono lift. In the end it was decided to use the main trunk and get it milled. The spalation would look amazin, plus keeping the wood to use for something that would last.

Anyway sent the quote in after getting quotes from highways and Weston power to drop lines. Customer emails back and says thank you for such a detailed quote and I will let you know either way, which I thought was nice.

So I drive past today and see that the dead wood has been removed and the rest of the semi good wood that is left is hanging over the road. All the main timber over balancing the tree. I can 99% say that some serious branch work will come down or the whole tree.

My dilemma is do I speak to them and say it has been left unsafe or just forget it.

I would post pics but as it is not my job I feel it would be inapperoiate.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to look at a job a month or so ago. A large beech. The tree had been previously reduced (in a really bad way). So customer rings me which I was so pleased about because I've been wanting to work on this tree for years. I explain that 60% of the tree was dead which was obvious and the main cause is ostulina (apologies for spelling) so we spend a good hour discussing the removal or leaving a mono lift. In the end it was decided to use the main trunk and get it milled. The spalation would look amazin, plus keeping the wood to use for something that would last.

Anyway sent the quote in after getting quotes from highways and Weston power to drop lines. Customer emails back and says thank you for such a detailed quote and I will let you know either way, which I thought was nice.

So I drive past today and see that the dead wood has been removed and the rest of the semi good wood that is left is hanging over the road. All the main timber over balancing the tree. I can 99% say that some serious branch work will come down or the whole tree.

My dilemma is do I speak to them and say it has been left unsafe or just forget it.

The "professional" side of you is probably saying yes you should say something. Not the fact that you did't get the job,just the fact you lost it to by the sounds of it to someone or a company who don't know there ass from there elbow how to correctly do a pro/ job.

We all loose out to other quotes from time to time it's part of what comes with the territory.

The other side of you is saying leave well alone as it might sound like sower grapes for not getting the job.

It's down to you how and which way you feel about it:confused1:

If your sure its dangerous, and you have posted here in a public forum I think you would be wise to inform them that you think there is a serious risk and recommend they reassess the situation.

I would suggest you do this in writing keeping a copy for your own records. It doesn't need to be complex. If you do that, the worst thing that can happen from your perspective is that you can say you warned them. If you don't they may well want to know why you didn't. That may carry a risk for you. Keep it it kind, supportive and encourage them to think.

This situation crops up on a regular bases on this forum and just to say no matter what advice is given, good,bad or indifferent there is't a right or wrong way how to deal with this dilemma.

As our personality's are different so were one of us may want to go round and have a nice quite word and chat others may put something in writing or may be just forget it and let things take its course, which person are you?:confused1: