VOSA and Clear diesel vis-a-vis red diesel

difflock

yup, rules on red use are quite clear, contractors are not allowed to use it on the road, specifically covered in the rules, they've been getting away with it for years, glad its finally starting to catch up with them, just got to convince mr plod to start hammering tractor drivers exceeding 20mph now, time everybody was competeing on a level playing field

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, rules on red use are quite clear, contractors are not allowed to use it on the road, specifically covered in the rules, they've been getting away with it for years, glad its finally starting to catch up with them, just got to convince mr plod to start hammering tractor drivers exceeding 20mph now, time everybody was competeing on a level playing field

But what happens when the tractor is actually working cos I was under the impression two tanks were not allowed either. Using white to get to the job is one thing using it to do the job is another.

VOSA have been very active in the Province this fast months year or so.

First they focussed their attention on the HGV operators.

This past weekend they were busy in Bushmills and Ballymoney pulling Chav's for lowered suspension/tinted windows.

I was informed this morning that they have also "went to town" on a large local Silage Contractor.

Tractors and trailers in top notch condition, BUT the alledgedly "DONE" him/them for running on Red diesel.

Regardless of the Agricultural nature of their work.

They were/are purely operating a Commercial undertaking "for hire or reward"

Therefore must operate on Clear diesel.

marcus

I,d be straight on to the UFU about that one. It's probably contestable. All to often the enforcement agency doesn't have the correct information to hand and mistakenly starts writing tickets.

thats correct, two tank systems were outlawed, so in the fields, you can use red, on the road, you must use white if your a contractor, catch 22 , your supposed to drain, clean, and then refill every time you change, aye, right, so there in a no win situation, price for white, too expensive, loose the job, run red and risk it, make a hefty profit, thats why most of them run fancy new 40kph and now 50kph tractors, ignoring the rules, hoping to get it finished as quick as possible, have you seen one of these trying to stop from 30mph with a full sillage trailer on the back.....interesting is not the word...so when it catches up with them, they get hammered, as I said before, time the playing field was levelled, give everyone a fair chance at a bit

as I said before, time the playing field was levelled, give everyone a fair chance at a bit

Agreed!

Had a farmer friend moaning about the proposal from Labour to end business rate exemption from agriculture. He went uncharacteristically quiet when I pointed out the hilarious nature of the irony in this.

Agriculture, the last of the UK's nationalised industries (significantly subsidised by the public purse), with one of the most pernicious, influential and ignorant unions under threat from a potential Labour Party policy. Beautiful!

If we were to list all the subsidies (many of which are, in equal measure, absurd, ludicrous and down right scandalous), then cross reference all of the concessions granted to agriculture I really don't think the agricultural sector is going to get any sympathy from any other business sector.

Lucky the NFU has done so much recently to garner public support for the industry. Oh, that's right, they haven't have they, badger cull and obstinate denial of the hazard neonicotinoids present to pollinators to name but 2 examples have been really popular - not!

Think ur slightly harsh above. Not many other industries impact everyones lives as much as food does, althou most folk are so far emoved from agriculture now don't even know where there food comes from.

Most of the subsidies u mention are from europe and the CAP and not from the taxpayer directly. I will agree most are stupid but if u all want to pay a fair price for food with no subsidies. Althou i know we fund the EU but it wastes so much money hard to know where to start

Agrimog don't understand how the red desiel is affecting u. If ur an agri contractor i would imagine u would be on red desiel anyway.

I thought u were allowed to use red on road as long as doing agri work (know a couple of drainage contractors that pull there diggers about on red) also a local contractor complained and got an apology of the chief constable for harrasement of his men, were hauling muck 8 miles between farms to dump in a field, if it was only haulage would be illegal but as he also had the job off spreading the muck at a later date it was legal. He cleared it with head of traffic before the job

Can understand it on haulage thou, when the 1st fastracs came out some people where ripping the a **e out of it running big trailers hauling stone etc about

Compleltly of topic.

As for badger cull they should open the cull nationwide and lift the protection on them, most countries in europe actually hunt badgers and there populations are no where near as high as ours.

Hedgehogs, ground nesting birds and bumble bees are almost wiped out in many parts of UK esp where badger numbers are high. Even some of the early signs from some of the original pilot culls bird and hedge hogs numbers are rising and 1 scientific survey has directly linked it to badger numbers

Compleltly of topic.

As for badger cull they should open the cull nationwide and lift the protection on them, most countries in europe actually hunt badgers and there populations are no where near as high as ours.

Hedgehogs, ground nesting birds and bumble bees are almost wiped out in many parts of UK esp where badger numbers are high. Even some of the early signs from some of the original pilot culls bird and hedge hogs numbers are rising and 1 scientific survey has directly linked it to badger numbers

Indeed. Nobody complains about foxes being shot, why is a giant black and white weasel so bloody different?

thats correct, two tank systems were outlawed, so in the fields, you can use red, on the road, you must use white if your a contractor, catch 22 , your supposed to drain, clean, and then refill every time you change, aye, right, so there in a no win situation, price for white, too expensive, loose the job, run red and risk it, make a hefty profit, thats why most of them run fancy new 40kph and now 50kph tractors, ignoring the rules, hoping to get it finished as quick as possible, have you seen one of these trying to stop from 30mph with a full sillage trailer on the back.....interesting is not the word...so when it catches up with them, they get hammered, as I said before, time the playing field was levelled, give everyone a fair chance at a bit

i dont think they should be strict on the speed of tractors as in most cases them running faster is a lot safer than 20mph and in places where there is nowhere to pull over or overtake that extra 10mph does help the following traffic however they do nee d to put in some proper legislation about running at speeds i have had to stop a fully loaded silage trailer loaded with wet compost before and done it fine but was running airbrakes which made it slightly better however realistically tractors and trailers of that size and speed should be made to run full commercial axles not air to brake axles like most currently have with load sensing and abs and a decent suspension set up

also whilst the pickup hitch is the standard here it is actually quite poor with far better options available on the continent

i believe all this is being considered at the moment any way with a report being issued later in the year

But what happens when the tractor is actually working cos I was under the impression two tanks were not allowed either. Using white to get to the job is one thing using it to do the job is another.

As I understand it if the work is agricultural, forestry or horticulture you may still use red to drive to the site in an agricultural tractor. The only issue is if you haul anything to or from the site, when it becomes transport and is subject to all the rules on operator's licence, goods vehicle licensing and tachographs as well as needing DERV fuel.

From HM Revenue & Customs

"I have a gardening business. I use my tractor to cut and treat the grass, get rid of weeds, cut hedges and perform tree surgery. I take my tractor on the public road to travel to and from where it will be used and I also go on the public road to reach the outer parts of the trees and hedges. Can I use red diesel on the public road?

Yes, cultivating and managing gardens is horticulture and so your tractor would be on the public road for a purpose relating to horticulture."

An 80mm dia "ball and spoon" hitch is rapidly gaining ground in the UK, it also happens to allow for a tremendous degree of articulation, with no associated "slap".

Plus there is a reasonably recent focus (or so I understand) on trailer brakes.

Driven by the tractor manufacturers refusing warrenty claims on knackered tractor brakes.

Due to the tractor being expected to brake for the trailer as well.

A few eyewatering repair bills sure do get them poor farmers attention.

m