VOSA and Clear diesel vis-a-vis red diesel

difflock

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Level playing field on tractors, width limit supposed to be 2.45 mtrs until 21yrs of age i.e cheap haulage labour.

Illegal to tow behind telehandler on highway. Also carrying goods on front.

cpc course.

Tachographs. Drivers hours/ working hours.

MOT. 6 weekly inspections.

O licence.

Trucks speed limit on single carriageways 40mph!

Trucks authorities and public number one hated road users despite low incident levels.

Yes it will soon be unstrapped bale confetti season for farmers.

No wonder hauliers/drivers get narked.

Tax benefits, grants, subsidies. etc

A level playing field would be uproar. Its highly unlikely to happen.

The width limit is only 2.45 whilst using a agricultural driving licence when you pass a normal car test width is only restricted by movement laws

And its only articulated telehandlers that cant tow on the road as they are classed as mobile cranes also means you have to be 21 to drive on the road

And whilst working hours would be a good idea they would still have to more lax than lorry drivers hours or nothing would get done what would happen when the rain is on its way there's 20 acres left to combine amd all the drivers in the area are up on their hours

Red diesels a funny one. Contractor nr us bales a lot of silage for farmers hes fine on red yet when he bales haylage on a equine place he should be on white. Fencing for a farmer red in tractor, fencing for a horsey people white its a nightmare best of avoiding vosa hotspots.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That doesn't sound right at all, HMCE are interested in road use, the law allows them to prosecute for illegal road use but forage and fencing are off road activities which can be done with rebated fuel.

At a farmer/smallholder friends yard last week and he was cheerfully filling up his 14 plate bmw 6 series with red. When he noticed that my jaw had dropped,he asked me when was the last time ide seen something like this pulled over and dipped.

Some years ago a loaded straw lorry from Wales went over on a roundabout near here. Police saw red running out of the tank and called VOSA. They requested a meeting with the owner at the recovery yard to where the truck had been recovered. He turns up and gets done, just as he is leaving VOSA ask what vech he came up in ( a Range Rover Diesel), so they dipped that, red again, so he got done twice.

I have run diesel light vans ( 10 at one point) and Landrovers since 1986, none of my vehicles have ever been dipped. So the guy is right,its very unlikely.

A

Some years ago a loaded straw lorry from Wales went over on a roundabout near here. Police saw red running out of the tank and called VOSA. They requested a meeting with the owner at the recovery yard to where the truck had been recovered. He turns up and gets done, just as he is leaving VOSA ask what vech he came up in ( a Range Rover Diesel), so they dipped that, red again, so he got done twice.

I have run diesel light vans ( 10 at one point) and Landrovers since 1986, none of my vehicles have ever been dipped. So the guy is right,its very unlikely.

A

Or just lucky

I was at the York farm sale last week and customs were dipping on the car park and any vehicles parked on the sales field.

Just before that at the VOSA station on the M62 (Oldham) customs were dipping anything and everything, all day long.

last month they rolled onto an equestrian yard I drop logs at "we were just passing, mind if we dip your tanks?" (like we had a choice and its down a narrow back road so they weren't passing)

If you were running red you would have to avoid such places like the plague

I used to work for a lad done twic for running red, both times stopped at Mway services to fill up in car park with 5 gallon drums from the back of the van. Both times polis sitting watching him :sneaky2::confused1:

He wasn't the sharpest tool in the box

The job i was on got embarassing as when the bowser tractor came round to fill the tractors out came the 5 gallon drums for his vans and on a few occasions filled the van straight out of the bowser. This was on the road side in full view of anyone drivingg by. Didn't even try and be sneaky about it.

Not just farmers who do it, infact probably met more plant operators running on cherry, they seemed a bit more clued up and had a tank in boot.

Do they still actually dip the tank?

Someone told me a while ago they go to the injectors now but i would imagine all sorts of warranty/legal issues doing that if car breaks down later on

I can't understand all the anti farmer bitterness, they get subsidies because they compete in a world market, you don't have to sell your products or services whilst competing against the whole of the EU and beyond. Your prices are relatively stable, grain can be half the price one year than it was the previous year, yet production costs remain the same.

Imagine selling your logs for half what you did last year, still fancy doing them?

I dont understand what the fuss is all about, anyone using red or white is paying tax but at a different rate . Diesel comes out of the refinery at around 12p a liter so after that figure the rest is distribution , forecourt profit and tax. Whatever we are using be it red or white is a legit business expense which we firstly claim the VAT back from and the difference is knocked off the taxable profit. Most farmers run the flat rate VAT system where they claim non of VAT back but still claim all of the fuel costs back from the taxable profit. Its just a tax merry go round. And while we are giving the farmers a bashing spare a thought for those that are not having it off that resort to this. Its not all a bowl of cherries pardon the pun.

Suicide in farmers - University of Oxford Centre for Suicide Research

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/schemes/flat-rate.htm

Bob