What have the AA done for us?

Steve Bullman

I'd like to discuss some of the positive things the AA have done for the arb industry. It was mentioned in another thread a few weeks back that the AA were instrumental in stopping the banning of top handled chainsaws....i personally didnt know that and would be interested on hearing more details....there was also something else mentioned in the same thread that escapes me.

Any AA bashing in this thread will be promptly deleted, theres plenty of that going on elsewhere, this thread is focused exclusively on positive changes the AA have brought.

thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blocking the move by HSE to make all arborists wear full body harnesses.

I thnk the best thing the AA provide is the approved contractor / Consultant register. You may not like it, but it does set a high (recognizable!)standard for our industry.

Imo i think we have the AA to thank for amonst other things, the instigation of all the many varied publications on offer for us to interact with today.

Probably born out of the need to get the balanced and varied debates/opinions going which do bear fruit eventually through training, regulations etc...

Without this i am sure there would be more pikies, more accidents, more so called old pros who have no realistically structured way of assessing where they are at.

They can voice problems to the government and they will listen to an organisation.

One little nick tho is why arnt people on here members.

I think its a good thing i would like to display there logo to show professionlism so it gives you something back once you comply with there requirments. So that its motivation to join if people came to know the logo as excellence more of us who really like the job would aim to achieve this.

The aa has alot more potential than its currently showing but it needs to accept nptc users as competant i did apply for an info pack and if im right not sure but you need nvq's etc to join and display the logo.

But on the whole a good org but needs a client boost more arbs need to apply and join.

?

depends on which logo you want to display, which depends on what type of membership you want.

I'm currently on a student membership because i'm studying, cost £25 if i remember. For that i get periodically drowned in magazines and journals, and this year a discount on a range of stuff.

The aa has alot more potential than its currently showing but it needs to accept nptc users as competant i did apply for an info pack and if im right not sure but you need nvq's etc to join and display the logo.

I don't think you do Telhol, but it can be a very expensive process, as you need to have all the paperwork in place, insurance, relevent NPTC's, workshop, good yard, well maintained kit etc not neccesarly have any Arb. related qauls.

I like the AA scheme virtually all my employers have been AA approved contractors, one of them was once a board member on the commercial side, and tried to instigate better qaulity work in the powerline clearance sector.

He was also involved in the top handle issue but not the main man, I believe Jack Kenyon was also involved in this but i don't know for certain.

They also I believe were involved in stopping HSE making the use of 2 lifelines best practice, as well as full body harnesses, and campaign to keep us climbing and not have to rely on mobile platforms for safe working.

I keep trying to get my employees to join the forums, most think its good that I do, but they never have the time or intrest themselves, which is a great shame.

They can voice problems to the government and they will listen to an organisation.

One little nick tho is why arnt people on here members.

I think its a good thing i would like to display there logo to show professionlism so it gives you something back once you comply with there requirments. So that its motivation to join if people came to know the logo as excellence more of us who really like the job would aim to achieve this.

But on the whole a good org but needs a client boost more arbs need to apply and join.

Cant dispute your points here Telhol, dont forget there is more than one organisation fighting our corner tho, the ISA has UK/I membership too. I, too think more should join one of the associations, but unfortunately quite a few either cant afford/have no wish to spend their hard-earned dosh on it. I think thats down to the quirky nature of most of us!!