What have the AA done for us?

Steve Bullman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.totalarb.com/content/cm000192.htm I think this excerpt from TotalArb covers what the AA does in representing the Profession. At the end of the day, its up to the individual to look into each association out there and form their own opinion. To be honest, it looks like they have changed direction since I was a member, and I may well re-consider my standing on this matter.

Taken From the UKtc Tree forum primarily used by local Arbo officers

If up taken by said person(s)

That would be an abuse of position by a public servant imo tant amount to pre selection

WaY Out of Order

Quote '

I'm currently trying to promote http://www.FindTreeSurgeons.com, the directory of AA

Approved Contractors and ISA Certified Arborists that consumers can search by

postcode.

One thing I want to try and do is get it mentioned in the local press. The local

press, of course, rather likes local stories, which is where you lot come in.

If you can come up with a local spin on the story of the official launch of

FindTreeSurgeons.com, why not knock up a press release and send it to your

local media; paid and freebie papers and local radio?

To help you I've attached and example press release. You can also find some

helpful information on dealing with the local media, produced by RIBA, at

<http://tinyurl.com/37sn7v>

Cheers

Chris

End Quote '

Roller: why?

Yorkshireman: Ever heard of copyright?

The UKTC, by the way, is not "primarily used by local Arbo officers". Of 529 current subscribers only 159 use a .gov.uk address (and at least one of those works for the DCLG). One of the UKTC's strengths is that it a right mix of people - TOs, consultants, contractors, educationalists, students.

Not a lot to do with "What have the AA done for us" though.

Roller: why?

Like yorkshireman says, if a civil servent, sends in a press release ''That would be an abuse of position by a public servant imo tant amount to pre selection''

I cant for the life of me, understant why you don't come up with your own criteria?

I'll be honest your select list of tree firms offends me to the pit, most firms aren't AA approved, or ISA certificated etc etc yet we are deemed thanks to your listing now as, for want of a better word cowboys! thats what your select list looks like to me!

I would agree with Roller....Although 'cowboys' may be a tad strong. I cannot hand out the 'Flyer' Choosing a tree surgeon...... as I may not be choosen over an AA approved member.

I can assure you I have NPTC up to unit 41. City & Guilds at Merrist Wood and am passionate about my work........I dare say like most of the people on this forum.

Actually Guys, to digress........I have recently been in touch with the guy at http://www.treesurgery.com his site is ok but has a couple of issues that could be looked at.

However you can exchange links with him and he will list you on his directory. The benefits are that his search engines are brilliant and people WILL find your website once on his directory.

Try it with mine go on to www.treesurgery.com and search KENT

Acorn Tree Surgery

Like yorkshireman says, if a civil servent, sends in a press release ''That would be an abuse of position by a public servant imo tant amount to pre selection''

Well to split hairs TOs are Local Government Officers, not civil servants, but I digress.

As I pointed out, only 30% of UKTC subscribers are TOs. So the issue with the other 70% is?

Many TOs already advise customers to use AAACs, or issue the "Choose your arborist" leaflet on which my site's advice is based. You're right, they are public servants. And the public expects the service of receiving some kind of advice on selecting tree surgeons. Without the resources to go around checking up on local arborists the only thing the council can do without incurring unacceptable liability is to recommend the use of someone who has been checked up on by another organisation that can resource these checks.

This is not pre-selection. It is not about requiring anything. It is about offering advice. A council cannot, for example, attach a condition to a TPO consent requiring that the work is done by an AAAC, but they can advise that the AAAC list is a useful source of competent tree surgeons.

What's more, the site makes it clear that there are competent tree surgeons around who are not listed, and offers advice on recognising them.

I cant for the life of me, understant why you don't come up with your own criteria?

Liability. Cost. Splitting the fragmented industry further. I seem to have been through this with you and Yorkshireman countless times, eg http://www.arbtalk.co.uk/showthread.php?p=13350#post13350

I'm sure as hell not going to be travelling to Suffolk on my day off to assess your standard of work and then not charging you for my time in doing so. So you might as well pay one of the existing schemes for assessment, if assessment is what you want.

I'll be honest your select list of tree firms offends me to the pit, most firms aren't AA approved, or ISA certificated etc etc yet we are deemed thanks to your listing now as, for want of a better word cowboys! thats what your select list looks like to me!

Well I'm sorry you take offence, but in the end it's your choice. You can submit to ongoing assessment or not. If you do, I'll list you. If you don't, I won't. But I hardly think it's true that because you choose not submit for assessment I'm labelling you as a cowboy. Or do you not feel you are covered by the paragraph

"There are many competent tree surgeons who choose not to take part in these schemes."

I would say that the only people I hint at possibly being cowboys are those who:

• Solicit work door to door
  • Advertise "topping" as a service - topping is harmful to trees and good arborists will not carry it out
  • Use only a mobile phone number or can not be traced to a permanent address

If you feel offended by that list, I'm afraid I'm not going to apologise.