What have the AA done for us?

Steve Bullman

Any AA bashing in this thread will be promptly deleted, theres plenty of that going on elsewhere, this thread is focused exclusively on positive changes the AA have brought.

thanks

the point is the AA, or any other body, is not running the show, we are. They are only as good as the men on the ground (& trees). Steve is looking for the positive side of the AA in THIS thread. they do try and stave of unnecessary legislation, as per top-handled saws etc as listed earlier in the thread. They try to represent us to the best of their abilities. But they are not a govt agency. They probably dont appear to do what is right for each and every individual, but they probably try to do their best for the majority. If you are a member, you have a vote on how things are run, if you're not you dont.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did say "TRY" in my comments!! I wasnt happy with the AA several years ago, and I voted the only way I could, by leaving and joining the ISA. I decided they werent for me, simple as that. However, one big thing they have done for us, is run a successful Arb show yearly. Which I know you would have enjoyed Lee!

I am not a member of any of the arb associations or societies and as such it's unreasonable to criticise if I'm not in a position to influence and I am unaware of the background to any decisions that are made, whether they affect me or not. However, if I were a member I would expect that association to act in the best interest of its' members, if those actions bring a general benefit, then all well and good. If not, then you should join up any way and hope that enough likeminded people do so as well, in order to change things. Alternatively, start a new society which operates as you think it should. I think that this is the hardest option though!

There really is little point complaining if you are not prepared to act. Talk is cheap, but actions tend to be expensive in both time and money terms

So is "FINDTREESURGEONS.COM" another thing for hard working arb companies to subscribe to? No return, no teeth, no bloody use? bit like ISA membership !

It's not something to subscribe to at all. Listing is free to AAAC, ISA CAs and TrustMark registered companies. It's merely an attempt to bring these lists together in one place, and to make it easy for consumers to use.

The AA now seem to offer everything a working arborist needs from cradle to grave. They do need to instigate and police their membership and approved contrators listing to ensure quality is maintained and they need to instigate their own goverment recognised kite mark then they will offer everything the UK arb industry needs.

The so called 'Kite Mark' is a British Standards Institute trade mark, not in the gift of the AA to use for anything.

The AA are working towards becoming a Trust Mark scheme operator. Trust Mark is a government endorsed scheme for recognising reputable trades people. Personally, I think it's going to be important once it gets off the ground. Principally because the Trust Mark 'brand' is likely to become widely recognised as consumers see plumbers, builders, electricians, joiners etc displaying the logo. Let's face it, your average consumer has no idea what it means to be an AA Approved Contractor - they have no idea what 'Arboricutural' means, come to that. But Trust Mark will become widely recognised because of its application to a wide range of trades.

Of course, they'll be lots to criticise. You'll have to reach and maintain standards to be Trust Mark registered. And you'll have to pay for the assessment and administration of the scheme. So it won't be to everyone's taste.

Trust mark, AA aproved, ISO, kite mark, lists for this lists for that, deviding the industry thats all it is, the big boys trying to push the small boys out, simple as that in my eyes..

If we small firms just sit on our arses , we won't be in business in 10 years time.

If we small firms just sit on our arses , we won't be in business in 10 years time.

Lee it wont take anywhere near 10 years

there isnt any Business regardless of size who can afford to sit back & hope that there wont be any change or new competition , methods of operation,

there will always be ways forward

You as the businessman must give direction & choose the course best suited to your plan

if it wasnt for the Isa Or AA or Rfs or tcia then where would we the industry get our voice,

if benchmarks such as Chas or ISo or trustmark work for you then go for it

as Andy says he used his feet, however that wont change ANYTHING in any organisation, all it does is prove the dissapointment from his point of view, that the particular organisation didnt, at that time match his asperations.

I dont expect one person changing associations will ever change anything for the better, but I feel happier with the ISA at this time. And being happy with one small thing improves how I feel about other things. Negativity eats away at your soul, until you become negative about everything. This can be put across to people very easily, from how you answer the phone, to how you talk to the client, to how you carry out your work. Be happy, and the world is a better place for all :star:

I dont expect one person changing associations will ever change anything for the better, but I feel happier with the ISA at this time. And being happy with one small thing improves how I feel about other things. Negativity eats away at your soul, until you become negative about everything. This can be put across to people very easily, from how you answer the phone, to how you talk to the client, to how you carry out your work. Be happy, and the world is a better place for all :star:

Glad your happy mate

maybe not such a grumpy sod now Eh !! LOL