What have the AA done for us?

Steve Bullman

The AA were instrumental in averting an insurance crisis about 5 years ago. They worked with others to set up the Arboricultural Liaison Group, with reps from all the main industry bodies plus Lantra, NTPC, the HSE and the main insurers and worked hard to ensure that premiums didn't shoot up to a point that priced all the small contractors out of the market. It was a lot of behind the scenes work, but had it not happened I suspect that an awful lot of the smaller operators who complain about the AA wouldn't be trading now, or not legally anyway.

They actively promote higher standards of tree care and in my experience work hard for their members. I'm a member of both the AA and the ICF and have to say that though it's nice to have the letters after my name that being an ICF member brings, they do very little else for me. OK, you've probably guessed from that that I no longer lug saws up and down trees, so my interests may differ from many here. But something that might relate a bit more to others needs is this:

I'm trying to pull together a directory of accredited tree surgeons that combines AA approved and ISA certified. The AA have been extremely helpful, and as a result all the AAACs are listed at http://www.findtreesurgeons.com/. Getting anything out of the ISA, even if it has clear benefits to their members, seems to be like getting blood out of a stone.

I'm not sure it was averted, my insurance went from £2000 to £6500,:cussing:i rang round and there no companies taking on new clients.The following year i rang round found there were more companies available and cheaper quotes,so i was all set to change companies,but when my renewal came though it was just less than the other quote so i staid put.Now that sounds like market forces to me?,but i could be wrong.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to pull together a directory of accredited tree surgeons that combines AA approved and ISA certified. The AA have been extremely helpful, and as a result all the AAACs are listed at [url="http://www.findtreesurgeons.com

Oh yeh thats right only AA approved firms are worthy of such a listing :cussing: why not put the work in and come up with your own criteria? your list seems a bit of a non starter to me if its simply a re-run of already listed AA contractors.

Oh yeh thats right only AA approved firms are worthy of such a listing :cussing: why not put the work in and come up with your own criteria? your list seems a bit of a non starter to me if its simply a re-run of already listed AA contractors.

No, not only AA contractors. At present it is intended to include AAACs, ISA Certified Arbs and Trust Mark registered companies. The point of the comment in the context of this thread is that the AA have been very helpful in getting it going, the ISA very markedly less so. Not helped by the fact that they seem to be tearing themselves apart arguing, resigning and publishing libelous documents that they then have to recall. In fact, I've got so sick of waiting for the ISA to do something that I've just spent rather a lot of my free time over new year, not to say a fair bit on stamps, trying to contact ISA CAs directly.

As for Trust Mark, the scheme doesn't really include arborists at present, but I expect it to soon. You won't be delighted to hear, though, that it is the AA that is pushing towards being a Trust Mark registrar.

Those schemes were picked because they require ongoing assessment, which I consider to be important in terms of minimising my liability arising from inferred recommendation. It is also easy for me to check a companies claim to be in one of these schemes without too much work or expense.

As to setting my own criteria, why? Why splinter and fragment the industry even more. The whole point of the site is to bring together arborists accredited by two, eventually three different schemes.

If I set my own criteria, where would it get me? I'll tell you.

• I would be accused of being elitist, playing God and not consulting with the industry
  • I would have to assess against them, which would involve time and money. I'd have to recover that by charging for the assessment. I would be accused of pricing small companies out of the market

Let's look at the last point in a bit more detail. Being listed (by the AA, by the ISA, by Trust Mark or just on www.findtreesurgeons.com) may give you a competetive advantage in some respects. It also increases your costs, which obviously works in the other direction. It is your personal business decision which option you take. Compete by keeping your costs down. Or compete by gaining the accreditation. Your choice, don't blame others for it.

I am, in fact, exploring possibilities of getting other tree surgeons in to the directory. But this will involve cost. The question is whether I can come up with meaningful checks that I can undertake at a suitably low cost. If I resolve these issues, I'll certainly let you know.

I've worked for a AA aproved company and to be honest it didn't mean alot, although when the time came for the next aproval they did get but only with conditions such as training for all stuff. So i got a few more nptc tickets!

I have to thank the AA otherwise they wouldn't have trained us!

Jack

No, not only AA contractors. At present it is intended to include AAACs, ISA Certified Arbs and Trust Mark registered companies. The point of the comment in the context of this thread is that the AA have been very helpful in getting it going, the ISA very markedly less so. Not helped by the fact that they seem to be tearing themselves apart arguing, resigning and publishing libelous documents that they then have to recall. In fact, I've got so sick of waiting for the ISA to do something that I've just spent rather a lot of my free time over new year, not to say a fair bit on stamps, trying to contact ISA CAs directly.

Im only an interested bystander, but isn`t this statement exactly why the industry is still so fragmented.

Some Minister needs to get you key players round a table to get you singing off the same song sheet.

Please excuse any percieved naivety on my part, as i am not directly a paticipating member of either.

You never know Hell might just freeze over one day!

I'm not sure it was averted, my insurance went from £2000 to £6500,:cussing:i rang round and there no companies taking on new clients.The following year i rang round found there were more companies available and cheaper quotes,so i was all set to change companies,but when my renewal came though it was just less than the other quote so i staid put.Now that sounds like market forces to me?,but i could be wrong.

I agree, saying it was averted! try saying that to the sods who went out of businsess! because they coud'nt afford the insurance and wouldn't break the law..