Semi pro saw choice

StuartM

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the OP needs to decide what the maximum weight he wishes to swing around is.

I think I need to be realistic about the size and weight (and cost). I'm not going to be using it all day every day and won't be under any time pressure when I'm cutting the bigger stuff so a smaller saw ought to work for me at least for now. It will also be a saw to make my life easier rather than be expected to put food on my table.

he's being recommended pretty much every saw ever made in this thread....

Is that a good or bad thing?

One of the reasons I created the tread was to get the extra suggestions as I knew my list wouldn't be complete. I've subsequently looked at each one and decided if it should be added to the list plus the questions have made me think about it all a bit more.

I deliberately made it a bit more complicated by not specifying a budget in the original post as wanted to know what I should look at not what was available for a number I plucked out of the air although I had 'up to £550' in my head.

I know you must all be bored of the 'which saw?' posts so I'm very grateful for all your input! :001_smile:

Forget all the Echo and Dolmar/Makita rubbish. Spares are hard to come by and expensive being jap.

I THINK YOU SHOULD COME FORWARD WITH YOUR FIGURES AND FINDINGS FOR THE ABOVE AS ALL THE DEALERS I HAVE DEALT WITH OVER THE YEARS I OWE THEM ALOT OF MONEY ACCORDING TO YOU ! GET REAL OR GET OFF THE POT PLEASE FROM A SATISFIED DOLMAR / ECHO USER

Forget all the Echo and Dolmar/Makita rubbish. Spares are hard to come by and expensive being jap.

I THINK YOU SHOULD COME FORWARD WITH YOUR FIGURES AND FINDINGS FOR THE ABOVE AS ALL THE DEALERS I HAVE DEALT WITH OVER THE YEARS I OWE THEM ALOT OF MONEY ACCORDING TO YOU ! GET REAL OR GET OFF THE POT PLEASE FROM A SATISFIED DOLMAR / ECHO USER

Haha told.

Clearly an unbiased opinion eh?

@ the OP: you should only ever buy Stihl saws, from Scotland, NEVER online.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

SM,

You have a lot of great options in that price range. I would go to the local dealers and heft the saws mentioned to see how ya feel about packing such a thing.

I suspected the Scot would not return after his post, so I may put this point to you - the MS391 will sell for nearly the amount you quoted, yet is heavy for it's displacement(nearly the same weight as a 70cc professional saw), have less power at that price point, and with a plastic chassis VS magnesium. I would ignore his suggestion.

In the 50cc range: Echo 500ES(if you can find one, they basically sold out), Husqvarna 550xp's, 555's, 545's, Dolmar 5100 series, and the Stihl 261CM should all get the job done in that price range, go easy on fuel, be lightweight, and last a long time all being professionally built. The 555 is a particular bargain and is a 59cc saw to boot.

If I were you, I would go with whichever one of these you fancy that your local dealer has.

Dud you read the OP's first post or just the tittle.

I would go with any of those but the stihl and lean mostly towards the dolmar and husky 550xp myself but if in your shoes and owning a few husky auto tune saws they can be finicky in the hands of less experienced users, they are a true pro saw .... So that leaves you with the dolmar/ makita ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Can I draw your attention to the heading of this thread?. "Semi pro saw choice". What I suggested is a semi pro saw. You seem to have suggested 2 pro saws. Are you finding this a bit difficult?

The MS391 you suggested costs the same as a 550xp and 555, and has a lesser build quality. The 555 is the better choice by far with more power and nearly 2lbs less weight. This, I am sure, you would find difficult to deal with. Without Stihl's policies that protect it's dealers with inflated prices on homeowner saws, the Husqvarnas are the better choice for the consumer. The OP included.