itemised quotes/estimates

wardyc1

Just what I was thinking, some people are more trouble than they're worth

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

This^^^

I'm sure there are ways to get the job and get paid, but it sounds like it could be a load hassle in between.

I did a domestic job a few weeks ago (rare for me). After the third visit I actually got the job done, this wouldn't have happened if I had not already got and paid for the materials.

The builder who was doing the main work on the property was telling me he'd had a nightmare of a job. He told me that not one thing that was on the plans, was actually there. The customer changed her mind over and over again, she was willing to pay for the changes, but it's not what I would want on any job.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Break it down labour / materials. If they want a good job doing they will pay a reasonable price. I once worked for a builder who on many occasion had customers saying how expensive it was, his reply was i can put cheaper materials in instead of the proper stuff i have quoted for and therefore bring the cost down :thumbup1:

I dont think there is any merit in telling him to stick his job up his arse (or similar) (although its very tempting) i really could do with the job obviously but the sky aint gonna fall in if i dont get it. i think ill explain politely that the the relationship i have with my supplier is my business and my quote is for labour and materials at MY price and he is free to shop around for cheaper materials if he so wishes.

its not like im marking the prices up from retail im just selling them to him at the suppliers retail price.

does anyone add a cheeky percentage to the cost of materials above their suppliers retail price?

I always add a carriage / handling fee to any main materials that i have to supply. As i work as a joiner, i have come across this problem before, i just give them what they want, so if they want to shop around for cheaper materials (dont we all ?) they can do. I just explain that i wont provide any sort of guarantee on work carried out using their materials, and any shortfall/wrong stuff is their problem. I then either get asked to do the job, or i walk away.

I wouldn't even bother to respond to someone like that and its certainly not worth wasting your breath explaining anything to him.

How you plan and structure pricing is surely your private business? because when he shows your neat itemized quote to all your competitors to haggle down on price (because he will)

a)- Everyone knows how your charging

b)- You were undercut

:thumbdown:

There has to be some sort of handling charge for ordering and picking up the materials as its usually an extra trip and time on top of the job. If he must see the exact price, give him the price you pay for them but be sure to add a decent amount to make up for all handling and lack of discount you'd otherwise get.

To be honest its not his business what you pay the supplier.

There has to be some sort of handling charge for ordering and picking up the materials as its usually an extra trip and time on top of the job. If he must see the exact price, give him the price you pay for them but be sure to add a decent amount to make up for all handling and lack of discount you'd otherwise get.

To be honest its not his business what you pay the supplier.

Your potential customer has asked for a quote for supply and fit - give him one, but the price you pay for material is your business not his, if he wants prices quotes for material supply tell him to go and ask a merchant.

Cheers

mac

And if he wants a price to install only, DAY RATE ONLY! Because you know he'll mess up and get the wrong stuff, keeping you waiting.

He can't have his cake and eat it. A quote means the contractor assumes some risk, and adds profit for doing so. If he can't comprehend it when you put it in these simple terms, walk away.