neighbours tree

jaybo1973

Let's be honest that's not a huge tree. If I've worked this out right the tree is to the south of your property their for even if you remove the branches encroaching on to your property your going to do very little towards getting more sun light. Leaves, catkins and twigs will still fall on to your property as theirs nothing you can do about the wind. Moss may be growing under the tree but this tree probably sucks up over a ton of water a day your garden might be waterlogged for 3/4 of the year without it their. Trees are vital in urban environments as they increase air quality dramatically, just as important to your kids health as getting a bit of sun on their skin. Just consider all of these things before you have it pruned, trees are amazing and most people don't realise it!

If you still want it pruned pay Someone who knows what their doing so the tree is still healthy afterwards. If I was asked to do this job if would firstly go and have a chat with your neighbour, explain to them that I'm just the middle man and if i was granted access to their property the tree would benefit (more accurate pruning cuts due to good work positioning with an good anchor point in the tree) I'd be able to clean up their garden before i left (sawdust gets everywhere!) and just be friendly with them a bit of tact and charm is all you need most of the time.

If they still didn't want to play ball id go round in the day while they where out at work and climb it as I would normally. It may be trespassing but in a tree that size I'd be in and out before you've even put the kettle on to make me a brew:)

I'd seriously consider allowing someone to prune a tree from scaffolding, they sound like numpties to me and if they do a poor job it will only make any tensions with your neighbour even worse.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is what I mean.

The red line is where I am guessing the boundary is(soory I cant do straight lines!). The blue line is the pruning line, and notice I have crossed the boundary at the bottom to avoid leaving stubs, but I've left enough up top to leave a decent tree. If done right your neighbours would forget about it in a week, as said before if not they will hate you forever.

If I was your arborist I would explain this proper method to your neighbours and they would agree, and probably make a cuppa while im doing the work and ask me to quote for their side too and to marry their daughter, but I have a way with people!

Seriously though, polite proffessional discussion will get the right results nearly everytime, thats why the proeffesionals really are worth getting.

Im still upset by the mention of tower scaffolding. I hope I dont know any arborists that own such a thing unless its maybe for hedge trimming in which case it might be allowed.

Your not far off with the boundary, it isn't quite as drastic, it's the angle of the photo. Think he mentioned the scaffold to get to the first branch as it is about 15ft up. The guy is decent, I have seen his work. He has dealt with bigger uglier trees :)

Why would he need a scaffold tower at all? ?? A decent professional atborist will sort that like rupe said with no scaffold! Be aware of you bugger it up you are damaging other people's property and it can get v nasty.

To be honest I think your making the problem out to be far worse than it really is, nice tree live with it, sun causes cancer anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

Edited by Ian C

"Please be aware that your common law rights are intended to allow you to

carry out the minimum amount of work. If you carry out extensive works

and in so doing you make the tree unsafe, the tree owner may have a case

against you for criminal damage." for this reason, be sure whoever does the work is qualified and insured.

This is completely spurious

Your common law rights allow you to prune back to the boundary and that means whatever work is required.

If the tree cannot survive without the trespass then so be it, the survival of the tree cannot be used as a reason to licence the trespass.

The common law rights exclude the criminal damage because criminal damage requires a criminal act and your common law rights make pruning back an entirely legitimate undertaking.

Criminal damage also requires the intent or "Mens rea" to commit a crime.

TPO and CA notwithstanding

Think he's only mentioned scaffold because tree owner didn't want him on his land, they've got to be safer than at the top of 12 rung skymasters doing a cut back as I've done before (yeeeha).

Fair comment.

I'll give him a bunk up lol. Nah, he's good. I wouldn't set on any Pratt. Seen is work on big school sites, on numerous trees not to mention private homes.

No hes not good, 15ft is nothing, no scaffold tower needed!! It would take longer to carry in the parts of the scaffold tower than the job will actually take.

A ladder to get into the tree maybe, and it doesnt have to touch the trunk, but then the work must be done from rope and harness in order to get the correct work position to get the correct pruning cuts. The scaffold tower will be in the way of getting the work done!!

However its spelt, no proffessional would ever use a scaffold tower for that, or any tree ever!!