neighbours tree

jaybo1973

I say prune it back as hard as possible while still maintaining a decent shape, it's only going to get bigger and if you start a decent pruning schedule now it'll be easier to maintain in the future.

Your neighbours unlikely to prune it himself by the sound of things best get it done now to keep size of cuts small

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a thought....

We have British Standards concerned with Trees and Developments, Nurseries and Planting and Tree Works amongst others. Why not have one for house buying!? (even if it's just ickle)

The amount of times I've come across NIMBY's who've bought a house with a tree next door adjacent or on the boundary and want it down/pruned a few years later. Surely a bit of advice from an estate agent (should they be considering this anyway?) would reduce the number of cases like this one presented here?

In regards to this tree, why are there so many members who feel the need to get one-upmanship on matters of the law?? (and that is aimed at both sides of this argument). As Jules states, so many cases like this go unresolved (in the law) due to interpretation of words and phrases, misunderstandings of terminology or sheer bloody-mindedness from arguing factions. BUT, as Rupe states, this tree is easily resolvable and has given by far the best (from a common sense perspective) advice.

We can argue till we're blue in the face about the benefits of trees and if we could change your mind to leave it and live with it, great. If not, go with professional advice and remain amicable at all times, even show willingness on your behalf to mitigate the pruning of the tree by buying a small potted tree and offering to plant elsewhere perhaps. And in future, maybe you have friends or relatives thinking of, or in the process of, buying a new house that you could give sound advice too in regards to houses and boundary trees.

Just a thought....

We have British Standards concerned with Trees and Developments, Nurseries and Planting and Tree Works amongst others. Why not have one for house buying!? (even if it's just ickle)

Oh man it wouldn't be ickle at all. I've just been pondering what such a Standard would include and it's a massive subject covering amenity value, amenity valuation, common and statutory law of nuisance/trespass/encroachment (plus high hedges), risk and hazard assessment, beneficial and negative effects of trees and a bit more.

Besides, if you buy a house with a neighbour, there could be no tree there when you buy. There could be a small one. Bu that tree could grow faster than expected or wanted. Its benefits when small could have contributed to the choice of house. Or rthe choice of house was decided by the house's other benefits adn the tree had been seena s only a minor drawback when small. That could change. A garden chosen for children's play could in 20 years time be a garden for growing flowers iand vegetables and it's light requirements have changed simply due to the normal cycle of settling down, having kids, seeing them leave home, retiring, taking up gardening and so on. Then again you could buy a house with no neighbouring trees then the neighbour could quite lawfully plant fast-growing trees that you hate.

So the advicwe probabaly boils down to - don't buy a house which has any space within any of the neighbouring gardens where a tree could be planted or an existing one could grow if you don't want your garden and/or building daylight to change within your lifespan or that of your successors. In other words, no houses would ever be sold again.

OK I am being slightly obtuse for effect, but there is I hope a valid point in there. Personally I think that if you buy a house next door to a 300 year old oak you shouldn't grumble in 2 years time when it's 320 and eventually bothers you. But if there are overhanging branches you could buy it knowing that the law is on your side if you ever get fed up with the overhanging branches.

Just a thought....

The amount of times I've come across NIMBY's who've bought a house with a tree next door adjacent or on the boundary and want it down/pruned a few years later. Surely a bit of advice from an estate agent (should they be considering this anyway?) would reduce the number of cases like this one presented here?

In regards to this tree, why are there so many members who feel the need to get one-upmanship on matters of the law?? (and that is aimed at both sides of this argument). As Jules states, so many cases like this go unresolved (in the law) due to interpretation of words and phrases, misunderstandings of terminology or sheer bloody-mindedness from arguing factions. BUT, as Rupe states, this tree is easily resolvable and has given by far the best (from a common sense perspective) advice.

We can argue till we're blue in the face about the benefits of trees and if we could change your mind to leave it and live with it, great. If not, go with professional advice and remain amicable at all times, even show willingness on your behalf to mitigate the pruning of the tree by buying a small potted tree and offering to plant elsewhere perhaps. And in future, maybe you have friends or relatives thinking of, or in the process of, buying a new house that you could give sound advice too in regards to houses and boundary trees.

spot on, not many customers really understand what the results of their demands will be. without the cooperation of the neighbour, a crown lift/thinning won't be possible, and just shaving one side of the tree, for several reasons, is not a good result and won't be a significant gain as regards light.

Story of my life. I deal with tree safety for a council in a fairly rural area. Quite a lot of money floating around, loads of London commuters. There's some small woodlands towards the edge of one of the main town, on a housing estate of around 30 years old. One such wood occupies a great deal of my time. It separates 2 blocks of housing in a roughly east-west orientation. The amount of people who live on the north face of this woodland and who complain about the trees is ridiculous. You have to question their willingness to move to a rural area on the north face of a woodland.

"Can't you just take some off the top, I have a mossy lawn",

"If we pay to fell them it's okay as it will save you money, how could you argue with that?"

"I don't get any light on that side of my house"

"If they fall they could kill my grandchildren"

"My kids can't play in the garden because of the bird poo"

"We've lived here for 10 years and you haven't trimmed the trees once, why do I pay my council tax?"

People want to live in woodland settings but expect horrific pruning to be carried out on any tree that they can see. They want to live in a beautiful area but they fly tip all their lawn clippings/hedge cuttings/old fences over their fence.

I would be chucking it back over their fence . Bloody morons . There is an S shaped lane near me that bisects two arable fields . ( 2 barns lane its called ) Regular tip sight on the tightest bend . So far have seen washing machines , tv , mattress , paint cans , arm chairs etc etc . I would put a camera up in the tree next to the bend . Get the number of the vehicle PNC it to find where they live then collect all the shite up and tip it back on their front lawn ...if I could . Makes me spit !

Oh man it wouldn't be ickle at all. I've just been pondering what such a Standard would include and it's a massive subject covering amenity value, amenity valuation, common and statutory law of nuisance/trespass/encroachment (plus high hedges), risk and hazard assessment, beneficial and negative effects of trees and a bit.

It would be a Tome! And a fairly worthless one at that because people are fickle and could simply change their mind...

Legendary posts though (and the other thread you're labouring on, how do you find the time?)

All good reading and much appreciated.

I rather hope you do the decent thing and ignore them?

I wouldn't say they get ignored, rather an attempt is made to educate them depending on their particular points of issue, they get told they were surveyed on X date and will be surveyed again by Y date and we won't act for their reasons.

Job done. Set of ladders, a saw and a harness in about 2 and half hours. The neighbour was straight out as soon as one foot went over so he is to return with a longer pole saw to get one last branch. It was genius how he did it by only putting a foot over the bounty once. He isn't fully happy with it as he said that some would have been better going back to trunk. Sound job though.