Top handle is it the end.

sideshow bob

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite fancy one of those cheap Mitox Top handles for next to the chipper for nipping off odd bits that won't run through properly. I know this is prob so very wrong as 1) I do not climb 2) I dont have a CS39.

So why not just have a CS38 rear handle Mitox instead? More power, same price, no tickets needed.

I believe that the low kick back chain does solve a lot of the problems. The chain with the raised bumper drive links is very difficult to make it kick, it also cuts slower especially when the nose is in the wood, its a compromise. I dont understand how a ban will work, what will happen if you are caught surely you wont get arrested. Its like log splitters with one handed controls are "banned" but everyone still makes, buys and uses them.

If there is a ban and an employer allows their employee to use one and they injure themselves, the employer would be in all kinds of trouble.

Arm protection is a seriously stupid idea, its fine to one hand a topper when reaching out, its one handing whilst close to your other hand thats dodgy Arm injuries are the least of your problems, if the saw catches your sleeve, or even worse an arm protector, it instantly runs up the arm and into the chest / neck area. A chest wound could be sore, a neck wound could be fatal, I saw a picture of a chest wound caused in exactly this way only a few days ago. An arm protector is just an encouragement to cut in a more dangerous fashion.

I often cut one handed and very occasionally cut and hold, but tbh its easy to use step cuts and cut and snap or undercut with the saw and top cut and hold with a silky….

If there is a ban and an employer allows their employee to use one and they injure themselves, the employer would be in all kinds of trouble.

I think the "owner/operator" might be at risk of prosecution as well as the employer providing equipment to employees.

There was a prosecution in Cornwall recently for a farmer who fell through a barn roof and was found guilty of not having an adequate fall arrest system in place - HSE prosecution.

This troubled me as I originally thought, well how can they prosecute him for injuring himself? He hasn't put someone else at risk. I asked the question of a H&SAW lecturer and he explained that the law is applied as the requirement is to protect self & others (employees, visitors, passers-by etc).

Made me think about the powered pole saw line clearance off the LandRover roof I did last week!

Taking this to the ridiculous if there was a total ban would it be illegal to own one or just to use one ? would they all go in a crusher would people be compensated and who is going to win the grand national today ?

There is a flip side!

Too obvious to ever be adopted though.

Do nothing (or even better, encourage inappropriate / untrained operators to use top handled saws. )

Within a reasonable time all the rogues, idiots, cultural groups, thieves, unqualified and inexperienced will cull themselves out of business through traumatic amputation thus leaving the playing field open.

Beautifully Darwinian!

I think you underestimate the supply of Darwin candidates, there is one born every minute:laugh1: