Bloody fox!

Farmerdowling

Shotguns perfectly legal to own, should think about a silenced 410. 3 1/2 inch magnum using bb shot, start baiting only way ya do it once it's taking attach some heavy duty line to the bait then attach it to something strong in the house, DO NOT ATTACH IT TO YOURSELF the bastads are surprisingly strong you may laugh but it works got 3 foxes doing it.

Do you use barbless hooks to give em a chance?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minimum calibre in the UK you can get to shoot foxes is a .17 or a 22 hornet

Funnily enough, my FAC (which has .22LR, .17HMR & .223 on it) doesn't distinguish between calibres when it mentions shooting foxes. I know several people who shoot foxes with a .22LR and they're perfectly lethal enough

Have to say i agree with "Splinters"marking your territory is the best defense, will deter them from entering your property….. just don't get caught or you may be branded a perv :creep:

Just pee at gaps, gates, anywhere you think the fox will try gain access!

Unless you are a good shot and Competent with a firearm would not recommend venturing into that territory,it will only lead to grief.

As for the rspca….. don't get me started on them…..they should really drop the "P" i used lower case for their title because they do not merit Capitals imo!

I would probably sugest fox proofing ur garden to the best of ur ability but its amazing the things foxes will do to get in somewhere. Concentrate at ground level holes first

Marking ur garden is a good idea, alot of keepers will only pee round there release pens at that time of year.

There used to be stuff called renerdine that was meant to keep foxes away unfortuantely not be much good in a garden as it stinks to high heaven.

Ur quite right once u start killing them another may just move in, some old farmers actually only shoot a fox if it killing there stock/chickens as if they shoot it the next 1 might, so sometimes better the fox u know.

U would be better gettin a pro in to either shoot or trap, u would not get a FAC unless u had other safe ground to shoot on. But u could apply for a shogun ticket easier and might be granted if u've not been a naughty boy.

Like others have said a silenced .410 would do the job, but i'd only trap them and use gun foe pts ing them in trap rather than free shooting them

Funnily enough, my FAC (which has .22LR, .17HMR & .223 on it) doesn't distinguish between calibres when it mentions shooting foxes. I know several people who shoot foxes with a .22LR and they're perfectly lethal enough

I don't really see the point in trying to shoot something like a fox with such a small calibre, unless you can guarantee a lethal shot every time I'd say its pretty inhumane. .22LR travels far to slow to shoot foxes IMO

I don't really see the point in trying to shoot something like a fox with such a small calibre, unless you can guarantee a lethal shot every time I'd say its pretty inhumane. .22LR travels far to slow to shoot foxes IMO

It's all down to distance though surely? At the right distance hit in the right spot there should be no problem with it and I'm a strong believer that if there's any doubt what so ever as to weather the shot will be a clean kill or not then the shot shouldn't be taken. As a rifle is a 1 shot tool that's how it should be treated eg you have it in your scope and you only have one shot yet you doubt yours or the rifles ability...simple, don't shoot

Depends on range. The .22lr would be more than capable at short distance. If more than 20 or 30 yards I would use a bigger calibre. (If using subs and moderator) Id say a shotgun with a slug or magnum cartridge would have the same range but not as acurate. Youtube has a load of videos for inspiration. Ideally a 223 up to 50 yards in built up area. It would be cheaper, faster and safer to get a pro to deal with the fox. The fox you know entered the house, I would be dealing with it asap.

It's all down to distance though surely? At the right distance hit in the right spot there should be no problem with it and I'm a strong believer that if there's any doubt what so ever as to weather the shot will be a clean kill or not then the shot shouldn't be taken. As a rifle is a 1 shot tool that's how it should be treated eg you have it in your scope and you only have one shot yet you doubt yours or the rifles ability...simple, don't shoot

If we are talking about rural locations, how often are you within 30 yards of a fox? I agree with what you're saying though, marksmanship should be tested on targets, not on animals.

If we are talking about rural locations, how often are you within 30 yards of a fox? I agree with what you're saying though, marksmanship should be tested on targets, not on animals.

What truth there is in It I don't know but I have been told stories of how my uncle would squeak a fox up to a distance where he could dispose of it with a 12 bore due to not possessing a fac. Couldn't agree more with that statement, with the correct rifle there should be no problems out to at least 600 yards.