Stihl 261 or husky 550

The handyman

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this has come up a few time but I am now in the same predicament loads of mixed revues but the stihl seems to come out on top just don't know what road to go down ;/

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Check em all again . I thought the 550 came out best .....:001_smile:

What? How is this a question? I thought we'd reached a unanimous verdict on here that the stihl ms261 was a paperweight and under 70cc husky was the only option xD even plogs is getting one now!

Honestly, the words used to describe the 261 are the kind that get you banned on here! I have never used such a gutless saw as the 261!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 261 vw this time last year. just spent last week doing my windblown course up in Wales and I got to use a 550 for a short time. In that time I picked them both up, one in each hand and they weighed the same. Virtually nothing in it, my 261 is on an 16" bar and the 550 on a 15". Start them up and the 261 feels like it weighs heavy, a large lump in your hands when on the power or at tickover. The 550 once started seems to lighten, you can move with the spinning gyroscopic forces from within. I can honestly say I have never felt such a difference in a saw, heavy ish, when on the bench, then as light as a feather when snedding up, moving around. It has a smooth vibe like my 576. no lumps in its power delivery like the stihl. You might say a revelation. For small work its the muts but don't rip its guts out on bigger work. grab a bigger saw with a smaller bar on it... My next purchase is the 550 xpg. Hope this helps, all the best

What? How is this a question? I thought we'd reached a unanimous verdict on here that the stihl ms261 was a paperweight and under 70cc husky was the only option xD even plogs is getting one now!

Honestly, the words used to describe the 261 are the kind that get you banned on here! I have never used such a gutless saw as the 261!

HI EDDY it the DOGS mate im very happy with my 560:thumbup1: going and get a 550 :thumbup1:next thanks im told by loads of people the 260 a joke saw:lol: thanks jon

Had two MS261s in recently, both had real bad clutch needle bearings to the extent both oiler arms had been worn off by the wobbly clutch drum:thumbdown:

One had a plastic needle cage with NO needle rollers in it and the other was metal caged but had worn the clutch drum badly!

I have never seen this much wear in this area before - the saws looked reasonably well looked after as well!

I believe it is a common fault - not sure if it was fixed by Stihl or not!

Can't judge on the 550 yet, not had one in!